Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roberto.vigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Hi all,

here is my problem: I have an iPad application based on a SplitViewController. When I launch the application, since it always starts in portrait mode, only the Detail pane is shown. All right. I want now to open a modalViewController at the application launch for login purpose, but I am not able to find out the right way. I grasp on the web the following code:

Code:
SampleModalViewController *sampleView = [[[SampleModalViewController alloc] init] autorelease];
[sampleView setModalTransitionStyle:UIModalTransitionStylePartialCurl];
[self presentModalViewController:sampleView animated:YES];

and it runs nicely, but where do I have to place it in order to have the modal controller displayed at startup? I tried to override viewDidLoad in the DetailViewController, but it does not work.

Thanks for your help! Roberto

Last edited:

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Hi all,

here is my problem: I have an iPad application based on a SplitViewController. When I launch the application, since it always starts in portrait mode, only the Detail pane is shown. All right. I want now to open a modalViewController at the application launch for login purpose, but I am not able to find out the right way. I grasp on the web the following code:

Code:
SampleModalViewController *sampleView = [[[SampleModalViewController alloc] init] autorelease];
[sampleView setModalTransitionStyle:UIModalTransitionStylePartialCurl];
[self presentModalViewController:sampleView animated:YES];

and it runs nicely, but where do I have to place it in order to have the modal controller displayed at startup? I tried to override viewDidLoad in the DetailViewController, but it does not work.

Thanks for your help! Roberto

Hey,

I had same trouble, and didn't like nobody helped me. So I will post my solution :) So u can keep happy coding ^_-

In ur appDelegate
Code:
- (void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(UIApplication *)application {

-->

Code:
	LoginScreenController *modalLoginView = [[[LoginScreenController alloc] initWithNibName:@"LoginScreenController" bundle:nil] autorelease];
	[modalLoginView setModalPresentationStyle:UIModalPresentationFullScreen];
	[self.splitViewController presentModalViewController:modalLoginView animated:NO];

BEFORE the
Code:
[window makeKeyAndVisible];

Don't forget to import the "LoginScreenController.h" at top :)

Good luck

roberto.vigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks a lot, it works!

By the way, I think that the crucial point I was missing was the .splitViewController in

Code:
[self.splitViewController presentModalViewController:modalLoginView animated:NO];

Thanks again!

vnle74

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Am I missing something?

Hi jNoxx and Roberto,

I placed the snippet of code you gave here in the appDelegate. I have created the nib file for the login screen. It either I get a blank Window instead of my login screen if I comment out the didFinishLaunchingWithOptions method. If I don't comment this method out, my application goes straight to the split-view screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am totally new to iOS environment so please be have some patience. :)

Thanks

vnle74

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
In the SplitViewAppDelegate.m

Code:
-(void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(UIApplication *)application {
	NSLog(@"%s", __FUNCTION__);
	LoginViewController *modalViewLocal = [[[LoginViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"LoginViewController" bundle:nil] autorelease];
	[modalViewLocal setModalPresentationStyle:UIModalPresentationFullScreen];
	[self.splitViewController presentModalViewController:modalViewLocal animated:NO];
}

Code:
- (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions {    

self.window.rootViewController = self.splitViewController;
    [self.window makeKeyAndVisible];

return YES;
}

I have imported LoginViewController.h into the SplitViewAppDelegate.m file.

I have left the SplitViewAppDelegate.h file alone from the default generated code. Am I suppose to declare a ModalView in there? If I comment the didFinisLaunchingWithOptions method, it shows that I am executing the applicationDidFinishLaunching method and the "blank" white screen with my NSLog showing that I executed the method. If I don't comment out the didFinishLaunchingWithOptions method, the applicationDidFinishLaunching doesn't execute because NSLog says none but my split-view shows up. I am so confused??? What am I do wrong?

I have a simple LoginViewController.xib with just a "Login" button. LoginViewController.m and .h have the basic stubbed out code for a UIViewController from xCode.

I have a basic split-view application. I just wanted to see the login screen before the split-view.

Thanks

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Choose one of the 2 methods, your gonna use the Options or the one without.. That's the catch in your code I think..
Try to use the one without the options..

Code:
//DO funky stuff here
	[window addSubview:splitViewController.view];
	LoginScreenController *modalLoginView = [[[LoginScreenController alloc] initWithNibName:@"LoginScreenController" bundle:nil] autorelease];

}

Haven't tested it yet, but should be something like that :)

vnle74

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Hey jnoxx, I have tried this but all I got was a window frame with no orientation change on my main splitview(stayed in portrait mode). Do you know of a sample code I can compare against? I just want to see a working version of your example code. By the way, thank you so much for your help.

vnle74

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Hi jnoxx, I found the issue. I was loading the splitview with the code.

Code:

Once I commented out that code, the LoginViewModal was presented and change when clicked login with my method. Thank you so much for your help.

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Choose one of the 2 methods, your gonna use the Options or the one without.. That's the catch in your code I think..
Try to use the one without the options..

Code:
//DO funky stuff here

}

Haven't tested it yet, but should be something like that :)

hi,jnoxx:
my code is:
Code:
-(void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(UIApplication *)application{
    LoginViewController * modalLoginView=[[[LoginViewController alloc]initWithNibName:@"LoginView" bundle:nil]autorelease];
}
when the app was started,the window was blank... what's wrong with this code? I need your help, thanks.

Last edited:

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Errr, well that all depends, did you set a breakpoint in your LoginView, see if it get's loaded. Does your splitview loads without the modal view? :)

hi, thanks for your reply,I will debug that right now :)

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Errr, well that all depends, did you set a breakpoint in your LoginView, see if it get's loaded. Does your splitview loads without the modal view? :)

I added the code below to the LoginViewController.m:
Code:
- (void)viewDidLoad
{
    [super viewDidLoad];
    NSLog(@"LoginView loaded...");
    // Do any additional setup after loading the view from its nib.
}

But I didn't see the log message was printed

Next,I added the code below:
Code:
- (id)initWithNibName:(NSString *)nibNameOrNil bundle:(NSBundle *)nibBundleOrNil
{
    NSLog(@"init LoginView...");
    self = [super initWithNibName:nibNameOrNil bundle:nibBundleOrNil];
    if (self) {
        // Custom initialization
        NSLog(@"init complete...");
    }
    return self;
}
the output is:
2011-08-24 20:41:46.114 Strong OA[580:b603] init LoginView...
2011-08-24 20:41:46.116 Strong OA[580:b603] init complete...

could you help me analyze the reasons?

Last edited:

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Yes, you are Initting the UIViewController, which is correct, so that's normal.
But did your project run, WITHOUT the modalviewController? ;)
(did you see the actual SplitView)

yes,it's running WITHOUT the modalviewController,I didn't see the SplitView displayed either.

the pic is:
ipad-1.png

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Well, then I'm quite sure that your modal viewcontorller view outlet is not set ;)
Is your xib properly wired up, from the login controller?
okay,please look at the pic which I uploaded:

right click the File's Owner:
ipad2.png

click the View object,then the Connections Inspector is:
ipad3.png

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
You got me there, There should be something at least going wrong, since I don't have problems at all ;p I tried it myself yesterday, and tadaaa :p It works.
if u NSLog the pointer, does it contain a Reference to the memory adress, or does it return (null).

Beside that problem, I see you have a login button on "touch down", didn't you mean "touch up inside"? :p

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
before pop the modal win:
ipad5.png

after pop the modal win:
ipad6.png

how can I let the modal's direction same with the prior case?

BTW:I set "supported device orientations"="Landscape Right".

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
So you got the Login Modal to work?
And erm, is your view setted up as Landscape (in the XIB). And you do a return LandscapeRight, Also do a LandscapeLeft :)
or just set in your project settings your app to only support Left/right, and then set the return type of the - (BOOL) shouldAutorotate bla blah.
to return YES;

jiangxd

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
So you got the Login Modal to work?
And erm, is your view setted up as Landscape (in the XIB). And you do a return LandscapeRight, Also do a LandscapeLeft :)
or just set in your project settings your app to only support Left/right, and then set the return type of the - (BOOL) shouldAutorotate bla blah.
to return YES;

thanks!

it worked! ha! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.