Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:54 AM   #1
sarah.kho
macrumors member

Is it possible to minimize an application by clicking on its doc icon?

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to make the mac os doc works like this:

if application is not minimize, clicking on its icon in the doc, minimize the application.

if the application is minimized, clicking on its icon restore it.

The second thing works perfectly but when the application is restored, it is not possible to minimize it by clicking on its icon.

Any comment?
sarah.kho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:40 AM   #2
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.kho View Post
Hi,

I am trying to find a way to make the mac os doc works like this:

if application is not minimize, clicking on its icon in the doc, minimize the application.

if the application is minimized, clicking on its icon restore it.

The second thing works perfectly but when the application is restored, it is not possible to minimize it by clicking on its icon.

Any comment?
Toggling minimized state by clicking icons in the taskbar is a windows thing. On a Mac, clicking on an icon brings the app back if it was minimized but does nothing if the app is already showing. Take a look at expose. I find it to be a much better approach to managing open windows. It took a while for me to get used to the "OS X way", particularly since I use windows at work, but I'm very comfortable with OS X now and I'm no longer looking for workarounds to make my Mac work more like XP or 7.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:15 PM   #3
smirk
macrumors 6502

I agree with r0k, but another thing you can do is to right click the icon in the dock and choose "Hide". This won't minimize it per se but it will make the application's windows all disappear. And then clicking the icon in the dock will make them all come back.
smirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
action, dock, icon, minimize