Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

102442-mbp_13_malaysia.jpg

MacBook Pro shipping estimates lengthening in Malaysia
A new series of claims are continuing to point to tightening supplies and an upcoming refresh of Apple's MacBook Pro line, possibly as early as late next week.

The first report [Google translation] from Italian site iSpazio claims that it has received word from an Apple employee that Apple is preparing to launch five new MacBook Pro models carrying order numbers MC720, MC721, MC723, MC724, and MC725. The five new models will reportedly span all three current MacBook Pro sizes of 13-inch, 15-inch, and 17-inch. The new models are also said to be making their way to Apple Italy over the next few days in preparation of a launch "towards the end of this month".

Apple currently offers six standard configurations of the MacBook Pro, with two 13-inch models, three 15-inch models, and a single 17-inch model. It is unclear where a reduction to five total models would be made, although the most reasonable bet might for the 15-inch size to see a drop to only two standard configurations.

Remarkably similar information is being offered [Google translation] by another Italian site, Slide to Mac, causing us to wonder whether the same source claiming to be with Apple Italy has provided information to both sites. This second report's details include claims that Apple's schedule calls for a release on Thursday or Friday of next week and that the update will not simply be essentially a spec bump of the existing models.

Finally, we've been watching supplies of existing MacBook Pro models tighten over the past month, particularly through third-party retailers, but according to Apple Bitch, the squeeze has begun to hit some of Apple's own farther-flung retail distribution points in Asia.
Apparently websites for Apple Stores in several Asian countries have been updated today to reflect longer shipping times for the MacBook Pro. For example, the Malaysian Apple Store updated its website today to show that shipping times for the 13 inch MacBook Pro have slipped from 24 hours to 1-5 days. This is also reflected in other countries such as Hong Kong, Vietnam and Taiwan.
A current survey of some of Apple's online stores in Asia does show shipping estimates bouncing around over the past few days, with many standard configurations showing estimates of 2-4 or 3-5 business days where availability had just recently been pegged at "within 24 hours". Apple's North American and European stores are still showing immediate turnarounds on new orders.

Article Link: More Claims of Imminent MacBook Pro Refresh as Supply Crunch Hits Apple's Stores

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
My Cousin is gonna be so mad !! He just bought a 13" MBP on impulse last week... had been contemplating the purchase for a while, and decided to pull the trigger.... Think long, and you think wrong I guess !! Bummer:eek:

Stef4n

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Wooohooo :)

24th of February then?

I would have guessed the 1st of march, but seems to be earlier!

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
Time to put last year's MacBook Pro on Craigslist this weekend.

same here- it's not that a new Core processor-based MacBook Pro would make my current MBP (base 13") any less powerful than it already is, but I could definitely use the performance improvements. crossing my fingers for a release late next week!

Minesper

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Porto, Portugal
Can't wait :D

Today im doing 21 years old, and a new macbook pro is going to be my gift.
But i surely can wait a week more :D

So excited! And i also hope for the liquid metal leak +.+

ldellx3

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
is there any chance that apple will put up a message on the hoempage saying new product or macbook coming soon? or that doesnt happen and we only know when they take the site down

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I'm not questioning these rumours, but as an observation, someone with extra time on their hands at Apple should occasionally shift the ship dates on products in the Apple Store just to see what type deeper meaning people come up with.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
is there any chance that apple will put up a message on the hoempage saying new product or macbook coming soon? or that doesnt happen and we only know when they take the site down

Apple is notorious for not making announcements ahead of time. The only time you'll ever see an announcement would be if the release corresponded with an event, even then you're talking 1-5 days of notice only.

Normally you'll know when the Apple online store is taken down.

ldellx3

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Apple is notorious for not making announcements ahead of time. The only time you'll ever see an announcement would be if the release corresponded with an event, even then you're talking 1-5 days of notice only.

Normally you'll know when the Apple online store is taken down.

aw mannn but that makes the wait soo much worse ahah cause it could happen any time. there are rumors about different dates but that doesnt mean it will be then for sure i really hope for before march 1st. even though i wont be gettign it until june..but still its cool to see the new info and specs and design online

Can't wait :D

Today im doing 21 years old, and a new macbook pro is going to be my gift.
But i surely can wait a week more :D

So excited! And i also hope for the liquid metal leak +.+

Happy B-day dude...

On a separate note...I dont fully believe the correlation between shipping delay's and new product introduction; IF current stock is dwindling, then that represents a finite number of legacy models that are no longer being produced. So to me, its either available or not...unless Apple manufactures continue to make previous gen models until the day of new model availability. Does anybody have info on their supply MGMT practices? And Yes, I know im a total Nerd Loser. :p

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I've got 13 days till the return period ends on my recent purchase, so here's hoping they get updated within that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.