Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I have a bunch of MKV movies that I'm converting to MP4/M4V using MKVTools to play on my AppleTV. However, the final MP4 is just one long file. Is there any way for me to add chapters to the file so I can jump ahead when watching on my ATV2 instead of rewinding the whole way? Thanks.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I have a bunch of MKV movies that I'm converting to MP4/M4V using MKVTools to play on my AppleTV. However, the final MP4 is just one long file. Is there any way for me to add chapters to the file so I can jump ahead when watching on my ATV2 instead of rewinding the whole way? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with MKVTools, so I don't know if there is a way using that. However, you can create chapters and add titles with MetaX. As long as you know the length and title of each chapter (most listings are found easily with a Google search), you can sub-divide the movie into its correct segments. If you have a TagChimp ID, MetaX often finds and adds the chapters and titles without the need for you to transcribe the information.

FYI, I did this just last night where my rip of Dr. Strangelove had over 40 chapter breaks whereas the movie has 28. Allmovie.com had the chapter times and titles, so I used MetaX to eliminate the old chapters, and then I added the correct timings and titles. A couple are off by a second or two (due to errors in the information, not the software), but it's all close enough that I'm not going to try to fix it.

I believe Subler has this capability too, but I use MetaX for chapters so I have no idea how it works.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal

Subler will let you edit existing chapters, or if none are present, let you add a chapter every 5min, 10min, etc.

I'm having the same problems with some of my conversions. I wish there were sites like they have for subtitles, but for chapters. Allmovie.com just isn't complete enough.

HTH

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Subler will let you edit existing chapters, or if none are present, let you add a chapter every 5min, 10min, etc.

I'm having the same problems with some of my conversions. I wish there were sites like they have for subtitles, but for chapters. Allmovie.com just isn't complete enough.

HTH

How do I add chapters every 10 min through Subler?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
How do I add chapters every 10 min through Subler?
Create a text file with the chapter info. In your case, Every 10 minutes.

See this Pagefor the proper format.

Then in Subler, open up your movie file. Select Import>File from the menu. Find your .txt file and open. The chapter file should then be available to "check".

Save and Optimize and you're ready to go.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Thanks! Also, how do I skip to different chapters when watching one of my movies on the Apple TV2? The chapters are there but it seems that all I can do is fast forward or rewind.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks! Also, how do I skip to different chapters when watching one of my movies on the Apple TV2? The chapters are there but it seems that all I can do is fast forward or rewind.

Hit the Down Arrow on the remote...this brings up the blue line with chapters marked on it including your current position, then use the left and right arrows to jump around.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Hit the Down Arrow on the remote...this brings up the blue line with chapters marked on it including your current position, then use the left and right arrows to jump around.

The blue status line comes up but it doesn't have the chapters marked into the line for some reason. However, when I hold down the select button I'm able to see a list of the chapters and choose from there. Any idea why the chapter markers aren't showing up in the blue status line?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.