Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hi, when the new iPad comes out, which I am guessing will be soon because Apple has to catch up to all the people that have been copying the iPad. Lol. Anyways, when the new ones comes out, my mom said that I can have her iPad, 64GB, 3G iPad. but with the new tech and tablets coming out like what seems to be everyday, is my iPad going to be really really dated?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Hi, when the new iPad comes out, which I am guessing will be soon because Apple has to catch up to all the people that have been copying the iPad. Lol. Anyways, when the new ones comes out, my mom said that I can have her iPad, 64GB, 3G iPad. but with the new tech and tablets coming out like what seems to be everyday, is my iPad going to be really really dated?
Please enlighten us as to what new tablets have actually come out. "Every day"? Melodramatic, no?

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Eventually all tech becomes "dated". The current iPad should be fine for this next iteration cycle.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I'm saying that so many have come out or have been presented. Go look up what happened at CES this year, 80 tablet, 80, were introduced. Please stop trying to get smart:)

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Okay, well I did say what seems to be, and every other person I am guessing would have known that.
Sorry for the confusion. But that's not answering my question, I think you just want to be making a smart mouth response. Look at posts,so many people don't get there questions answered, just grammar police or something.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
It's totally maxed out by the apps on it now, so basically it's obsolete now.

If apple hadn't crippled it with 256 megs of ram this might not be the case.

Infinity blade looks amazing, but it lags a lot when moving the camera around, so it is fully taxing it 100%. Games on the iPad will never get better than infinity blade.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
When it breaks, not before. I've still got a Palm Pilot and it still works (although I don't use it except to add Contacts that I don't want in my Address Book).

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I'm saying that so many have come out or have been presented. Go look up what happened at CES this year, 80 tablet, 80, were introduced. Please stop trying to get smart:)

Notion ink and Dell Streak are the only two that came out, but they are froyo versions with dual core. iPad 1 is not even coming close being obsolete because it runs smooth and plenty of apps to play with. Although, experience varies due to varying bandwidth. iPad 2 might be more productive and better apps to do more work. Honeycomb tablets are not out yet. Xoom will be the first one and it looks to be out by first week of March, maybe. However, I don't seeing it being useful because it will lack much choice of apps. It would be fine as far as using google's native apps like google doc and gmail. It maybe like a pda at first, until more apps are available.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The current one has 256MB RAM which is obsolete already. When the new iPad comes out with better hardware, more and more games like Infinity Blade emerge which make use of the better hardware. So for a year more the current iPad is safe.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Anybody who thinks iPas is obsolete is wrong (or suffering tech-remorese as they realise they won't have the latest and greatest), regardless of your definition of obsolete. iPad 2 has not come out yet, so the original has not been replaced. Therefore, under that definition, it is not obsolete. Even when iPad 2 launches, the original iPad will still very much be in general use for a good year or two at least. Again, under that definition, it is not obsolete.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010

You may want to just say thanks and enjoy the gift?

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Please enlighten us as to what new tablets have actually come out. "Every day"? Melodramatic, no?

If you read his post he said "Seems like every day" and its obviously not suposed to mean there are new ones out every day. When you go online and check our your tech blogs theres nearly always something to do with tablets on them now.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
The iPad is already obsolete, 256Mb of RAM, no USB, no SD card, no File System, no Flash, but here on this forum many people will insist that you don't need any of those features, those features are for aliens, if you need any of those features you don't deserve having an iPad.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
The iPad is already obsolete, 256Mb of RAM, no USB, no SD card, no File System, no Flash, but here on this forum many people will insist that you don't need any of those features, those features are for aliens, if you need any of those features you don't deserve having an iPad.

Have you played with one? esp at the apple store? or from a friend? flash is overrate and old tech. flash is obsolete! I do agree on the RAM, but I have not noticed any slow down. I got plenty of storage. It's better to do cloud storage for exchanging it between computers. File sys. is old tech!

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Have you played with one? esp at the apple store? or from a friend? flash is overrate and old tech. flash is obsolete! I do agree on the RAM, but I have not noticed any slow down. I got plenty of storage. It's better to do cloud storage for exchanging it between computers. File sys. is old tech!

Yes I have played a lot with it 'cause I have one, and I knew before buying that it didn't play flash, but the lack of sufficient RAM memory is bothering, 256Mb is not enough for web browsing nor for multitasking. Adobe came out with a lighter version of Flash, so there is not excuse for not including it in the next iOS version Flash is not obsolete since a lot of pages are still using it, and as for a File System is stupid the way iPad manages files, you don't need to have the same file for every app that uses it, as for the cloud storing if you are on a plane You DO need a local storage since you cannot do cloud storing and rely on a wireless network all of the time.

Last edited:

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
Yes I have played a lot with it 'cause I have one, and I knew before buying that it didn't play flash, but the lack of sufficient RAM memory is bothering, 256Mb is not enough for web browsing nor for multitasking. Adobe came out with a lighter version of Flash, so there is not excuse for not including it in the next iOS version Flash is not obsolete since a lot of pages are still using it, and as for a File System is stupid the way iPad manages files, you don't need to have the same file for every app that uses it, as for the cloud storing if you are on a plane You DO need a local storage since you cannot do cloud storing and rely on a wireless network all of the time.

I think many would disagree that 256 is not enough. Yes, perhaps it's not ideal- but it Is certainly capable of handling anything that needs to be done. As for flash- there is a perfectly good excuse for it not being included: Apple doesn't want it there. It's really simple- almost too simple. If you dont like it don't buy it. But if you do buy it- please don't complain about it. That would be retarded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.