Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
I bought a new seagate hybrid SSD drive and put it in my mac myself. everythine was working perfectly find at the latest version of 10.6 before i shut it down, restored the mac via time machine full system restore.

about 16% the first time the blue bar froze and i got the pinwheel. i restarted and did it again and it finished this time and once it finished, it had me restart.

its hung at the apple loading screen now for about 20 minutes with the spinning loading thing, and i can hear the harddrive bt its not doing aynthing. i figured maybe its because its the first time its taking a long time doing something, but i dont know... i dont quite want to just restart it yet. after doing a full system restore is it supposed to boot up right away?

Secrets

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Yeah, i've got the same thing going on now. I installed a new drive on my Mini, upgraded to snow leopard and then tried to restore in order to bring my data back from Time machine. It said the restore was a success, but on restarting it hangs on the apple logo.

I think the problem is that when you install a new Hard Drive you are meant to transfer the data from Time machine rather than doing a full restore. The full restore feature is only when you are restoring to the same machine that produced the backup.

Question now is if i hard cancel the restart will i trash my new drive or is it better to just wait.. Been a few hours at this stage..

Edit: Restarted the mac and it continued to hang on the apple logo. Had to boot to single user mode and run fsck a few times. Then it worked fine. Interestingly the time machine restore worked, all data and files restored..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.