Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Worldwide Youtube and Safari problem has started.

People are posting on all sorts of forums around the world. There are no player controls with YT videos when viewing on Safari.

People have tried everything from rebooting to re-installing to disabling developer menu to various other tricks.

YT videos still have full controls with other browsers on OS X.

It's like Apple has done something secret to stop YT videos from playing because YT HTML5 videos work fine.

Unfortunately, there are thousands of YT videos without HTML5 so we need a fix fast.

Any ideas?

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Nothing wrong here with HTML5 or Flash videos, try reinstalling your FLash player.

Also Apple does nothing to the Flash player, if the controls are broken in Flash it is ether Adobe or Youtube that have caused the problem.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Nothing wrong here with HTML5 or Flash videos, try reinstalling your FLash player.

Also Apple does nothing to the Flash player, if the controls are broken in Flash it is ether Adobe or Youtube that have caused the problem.
It's not everyone of course. And even if it was the Flash player [which it's not on my machine], it wouldn't explain why thousands globally got the same problem at the same time.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Ok found a solution. Combined some other guy's advice with mine since his alone didn't fix the problem for me.

1)simply visit this site: http://www.youtube.com/swf_test.html
2)right click (or ctrl-click for macbooks) on the player
3)click Settings
4)uncheck the Enable Hardware Acceleration
5)refresh browser

then

If your Develop menu is on in Safari go to User Agent and select something like Firefox 3.6 Mac then YT will work again.

Finally have YT working again after nothing else worked.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Ok found a solution. Combined some other guy's advice with mine since his alone didn't fix the problem for me.

1)simply visit this site: http://www.youtube.com/swf_test.html
2)right click (or ctrl-click for macbooks) on the player
3)click Settings
4)uncheck the Enable Hardware Acceleration
5)refresh browser

then

If your Develop menu is on in Safari go to User Agent and select something like Firefox 3.6 Mac then YT will work again.

Finally have YT working again after nothing else worked.

The above didn't work for me.

I had to toggle Safari into 32-bit mode. YT works again.

I know this is most likely related to adobe but Apple's (Steve's) childish refusal to embrace flash is really starting to piss me off.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
The above didn't work for me.

I had to toggle Safari into 32-bit mode. YT works again.

I know this is most likely related to adobe but Apple's (Steve's) childish refusal to embrace flash is really starting to piss me off.
I'd have to disagree with you. For me it's the opposite. I wish all vids were HTML5 ready. I love the player, low CPU usage and enjoyed deleting Adobe bloatware. I've already found more than capable Photoshop and Illustrator substitutes and in doing so have eliminated the need for insanely huge installers that take many GBs and ages to install.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Worldwide Youtube and Safari problem has started.

People are posting on all sorts of forums around the world. There are no player controls with YT videos when viewing on Safari.
While I don't doubt there are many with similar problems, it's hardly a "worldwide" problem. Like millions of others, I have no problems viewing YouTube on Safari. It's far more likely that you have something wrong with your setup. If it were a widespread problem, there would be news articles about it, not just some complaints in tech forums.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
For me it's the opposite. I wish all vids were HTML5 ready. I love the player, low CPU usage and enjoyed deleting Adobe bloatware.

Don't misconstrue my comment as being anti-HTML5. I'm not.

The reality is just that the world just hasn't caught up with it yet. Flash is a heavy standard. Let me use it.

I've already found more than capable Photoshop and Illustrator substitutes and in doing so have eliminated the need for insanely g installers that take many GBs and ages to install.

While I share your sentiments about Adobe applications in general, as a photographer they have me by the gonads.

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2011
this is a wide-scope event. i've spoken to, in person, 3 people with the same problem. youtube just flat out doesn't work on safari anymore for these people, and many around the internet.

i'm one of those people, and to resolve it i installed google chrome. firefox worked for a while, but stopped. i've rapired permissions, reinstalled perain, flip4mac, quicktime, flash, safari, firefox, system update, divx. anything related to audio and video, nothing's resolved it.

the observation that i have no problems with google chrome points the cause to be an issue with safari/firefox/possible OS update(?)

i'd have to hypothesize that it's a problem with html 5 and the OS/flash player interactions with browsers. (firefox and safari use different engines.)

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I can no longer play YouTube videos in Safari. Started not too long ago. The videos work just fine in Firefox.

Tried the above steps and that didn't help. Reinstalled flash player as well. No dice.

Then as Richard1028 suggested, I toggle Safari into 32 bit mode and youtube works again. Thanks!

For any others with this problem, go to your applications folder, right click on Safari and click "Get info". Then click "32 bit mode".

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
It seems a bit silly to dismiss this. A quick twitter search shows that this is new problem for quite a few people. There have also been other threads about it on here. It's affected me for the past four days and I've simply switched to firefox for youtube.:(

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
"Wide-scope"... "3 people".... Oh, well if there's 3 people, that makes it a global catastrophe! :rolleyes:

I think the point that you're clearly missing is that if someone has spoken to three people in person who are experiencing the problem, it's clearly affecting a significant proportion of users.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I've got the issue as well. People on the Apple discussion forums have gone as far as reinstalling OS X and they STILL have the issue without installing anything but Flash. Seems like a Flash issue to me. Maybe a bug in 10.2 for certain chipsets? Not sure.

The strange thing is that if you go to the authors channel the videos load and play fine. Got me.

Stoutman11

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
OMG!!!! this is happening to me and like 2-3 days ago i noticed it! Flash works fine on all other sites and as posted above it works when you go into the youtube persons channel the vids play fine. But if i just click a video outside of that it wont play at all!!! I was going mad until i saw this thread.

ONE question how do i toggle safari into 32bit mode??? I can see in activity monitor that its running 64 bit. how do i change it???

Stoutman11

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
ok i see how to change it to 32 bit and it still doesnt work for me. I downloaded firefox and it works fine but still wont work on safari. WTF?

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2011
I think the point that you're clearly missing is that if someone has spoken to three people in person who are experiencing the problem, it's clearly affecting a significant proportion of users.

+1.

for clarification, i actually do resent the fact that i do not know the entire internet population in person...
:rolleyes:

ghrider

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
A Clue why Youtube is broken on Safari 64 bit

Two out of the three of my machines running OS X 10.6.6 and Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4) work with Youtube.

The one that doesn't work has these properties.
The flash link below works in both modes, 32 and 64 bit.
http://www.youtube.com/swf_test.html

32 bit mode works, 64 bit mode doesn't work for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3U0udLH974

In the Activity Window, I see this difference - (... means three lines more of stuff)

(prefixed by http://)
32 bit - works. v8.lscache2.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?sparams=id%2Cexpire...
64 bit - broken. v8.lscache2.c.youtube.com/generate_204?sparams=id%2Cexpire...

Hmmm.. videoplayback vs. generate_204

Wikipedia describes html error 204 as:
204 No Content - The server successfully processed the request, but is not returning any content

So, it's server side sending a blank. But why?

Last edited:

ghrider

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Youtube's Server Side Problems

I've also found that for any video that doesn't play, go to the channel (by clicking on the poster's name) and it will play from there. This has worked for me 100% in about 20 test cases.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Yup, the MacBooks in my household have this issue - Videos don't work in Youtube in Safari in 64-bit mode. Videos seem to work in the users channel, however.

My MacBook Pro it's all good.

Young

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Staten Island NY
Hi

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I registered due to the same problem. I cannot open YouTube Vids through Safari unless I click on the channel or I click on the video and hold options. Then in the downloads window, I can double click and see the video.
I was able to open the videos through an AOL web browser. I took the computer to the Apple store yesterday because I thought I had a problem with Safari. Turns out they sold me a new hard drive, sent me home and said, "Good Luck pal." After 3 hours of reinstalling the new operating system and iLife 2x, I get to Youtube and find out its still not working. What a sucker I am. New Hard Drive. Ha. Schmuck.

I'm gonna try the 32 bit thing.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
What does toggling to 32 bit do anyway? Besides making youtube work.

It switches it to 32-bit.

64-bit was more widespread in Snow Leopard (pretty much all native apps bar the kernel and iTunes). Seems like something at YouTube doesn't like 64-bit for certain machine configurations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.