Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1
matt.ksisap
macrumors newbie

Macbook HD full and can't delete anything!

The hard drive on my Macbook that I bought in 2007 recently became full. I went through and moved about 55GB of files onto my external today and the deleted the originals from my Mac HD, but the HD info still says that it's full! It says that the entire 111GB is completely full and it still won't allow me to put any other files onto the computer.

Is there something I'm missing? Did I actually not delete these files from my HD, or is there something else that I need to do here? It doesn't really seem like it should be this complicated. Thanks!
matt.ksisap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:17 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Sorry, but did you empty the trash?
I know it is a basic question, but it has to be asked first
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
matt.ksisap
macrumors newbie

Yeah I made sure I emptied it right after I deleted the files from the hard drive... I wish that was the case though haha.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:15 PM   #4
jent
macrumors 6502a

There may be a system process that is snatching up any free space. Download and run DiskInventoryX or DaisyDisk and see what's taking up the most space. Once I had a system log file constantly being written to and filling up my hard drive to the max.
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:01 PM   #5
matt.ksisap
macrumors newbie

I don't have enough space to download this, though. Can I do something to specify where it downloads? It won't let me because there's no space on the HD. And the problem is that I can't make any space. How can I download this onto the computer?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:02 AM   #6
matt.ksisap
macrumors newbie

So I downloaded Disk Inventory X onto my external from my other computer (duh, should have done that before) and ran it from the external on my mac. It says the file that's taking up all the space is matthewengle.sparseimage. I am not sure what this is, but looked it up. This is what the File Vault backed everything up to? What do I do with this?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:22 AM   #7
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.ksisap View Post
So I downloaded Disk Inventory X onto my external from my other computer (duh, should have done that before) and ran it from the external on my mac. It says the file that's taking up all the space is matthewengle.sparseimage. I am not sure what this is, but looked it up. This is what the File Vault backed everything up to? What do I do with this?
that's a backup image. it's obvious it will eat a lot of disk space. Just delete that and have your backup done on an external HD not the internal one.
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:41 AM   #8
matt.ksisap
macrumors newbie

is it that easy? I read some other threads where people deleted that and said it screwed up their computer.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:01 AM   #9
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Are you running filevault then?

If you are, the .sparseimage file IS all your files. Don't delete it!

.sparseimage files need to be compacted to recover space - so this could be the problem you're seeing... you deleted stuff from your filevault, but the OS didn't have enough space to compact its archive.

Do you have any large apps (iDVD, Final cut, Logic etc.) which are outside of filevault? I'd consider deleting a couple, then logging back into the computer, logging out and letting the OS (hopefully) do its automated filevault compaction on logout.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook