Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Fourbin
macrumors regular

Moving iMovie project folders?

I have several iMovie projects that are taking up a lot of space on my primary hard drive on my Powebook and I'd like to move them to my external. However, whenever I try to drag the folder to my external and receive the error "You cannot copy the item "Icon" because the name is too long or includes characters that the disk cannot display." Now the folder is named with one word and that shouldn't be the problem. How can I move the folder over to my external and not lose any work?

Thanks!
Fourbin is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:40 PM   #2
varmit
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbin
I have several iMovie projects that are taking up a lot of space on my primary hard drive on my Powebook and I'd like to move them to my external. However, whenever I try to drag the folder to my external and receive the error "You cannot copy the item "Icon" because the name is too long or includes characters that the disk cannot display." Now the folder is named with one word and that shouldn't be the problem. How can I move the folder over to my external and not lose any work?

Thanks!
Open the project up with iMovie, then File -> Save Project As -> Point to external drive and save. I'm not sure if there is a preference for being able to change the default for iMovie files to be stored else where, but that is how you can move it. Then just delete the old files from Movie folder and just use the one on the External drive.
varmit is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion