Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
Just use Atomic Web. It's only a dollar and you can make it come up as Firefox, IE, etc. and you can use full screen mode.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use iCab Mobile. I love it and rarely use Safari. Safari is useless. Realize this and move on.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Safari is an excellent web browser, but it does have its limitations. If you want full screen, better tab support and more customizable options, you should purchase one of the third party browsers from the App Store. I prefer iCab because it's inexpensive and highly customizable. Atomic is also a very good runner up.

There are others, but I think these two are the best out there (at least for right now)

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Like others have said, Atomic Web Browser is an excellent browser on the app store, especially since they implemented multitasking. It has a good full screen mode.

drbob20

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I downloaded Atomic, does anyone know how or if this can be set as a default browser when clicking on links from emails or texts?

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I purchased iCab Mobile and like it so far. I really like the full screen mode. It feels like the screen is larger.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I downloaded Atomic, does anyone know how or if this can be set as a default browser when clicking on links from emails or texts?

No it can't. No browser other than Apple's can be set as the default browser. This is what really sucks since I do have other browsers on my iPhone and they are useless when other apps use links.

To everyone in this thread, downloading a third-party browser for the full screen mode is not a substitute because Apple doesn't allow the integration needed and forces you to use Safari. It's even worse than Internet Explorer in Windows since at least you can set other browsers to your default. Apple is more monopolistic than Microsoft in this respect. I have no choice BUT to use Safari even when I have other browsers installed that provide more and better features.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
No it can't. No browser other than Apple's can be set as the default browser. This is what really sucks since I do have other browsers on my iPhone and they are useless when other apps use links.

To everyone in this thread, downloading a third-party browser for the full screen mode is not a substitute because Apple doesn't allow the integration needed and forces you to use Safari. It's even worse than Internet Explorer in Windows since at least you can set other browsers to your default. Apple is more monopolistic than Microsoft in this respect. I have no choice BUT to use Safari even when I have other browsers installed that provide more and better features.

You have many choices. For starters, don't use an iphone. If someone is holding a gun to your head to use the iphone, show us pics.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Safari

Why is Safari so bad? Why is Apple not trying to keep their web browsers up-to-date? On my 2007 macbook, Safari will no longer play Youtube videos. The Youtube page will fully display but the video is black with action menu (play, pause, etc.). On the iPhone, it's fine, only because I have not had my iPhone for very long.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
The only way that isn't pocketable is if you wear skinny jeans which no straight man should anyways.:rolleyes:

They're called "European" jeans.;) I agree, it seems like there are a lot of Apple guys here with "small" pockets. :D

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010

It's not ideal but you can install a simple bookmarklet to overcome this. Every thread and post you make is a complaint or even flat out whining. I'm taking the plunge and adding you to my block list!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Why is Safari so bad? Why is Apple not trying to keep their web browsers up-to-date? On my 2007 macbook, Safari will no longer play Youtube videos. The Youtube page will fully display but the video is black with action menu (play, pause, etc.). On the iPhone, it's fine, only because I have not had my iPhone for very long.

This is a ULE. User Level Event.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
It's not ideal but you can install a simple bookmarklet to overcome this. Every thread and post you make is a complaint or even flat out whining. I'm taking the plunge and adding you to my block list!

So you know of the mythical part of the forum where there's nothing but praise, unicorns and marshmellows everywhere?

Its a forum. People complain. You're even complaining about this guy! So what if he complains alot.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

You can set other browsers as default with a jailbreak app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.