Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Epola
macrumors newbie

Is it possible to replace only the backlight of my 27" iMac?

Hello,

since 3 days my display is in the left corner much dark than anywhere else and sometimes it's flickering. But only the backlight turns on and off. Graphiccard seems to be okay. I don't have any problems with the display.

I think my LED backlight or the backlight board is defective. Our local Apple Service Provider made a quotation: display-change 670€ -that's too much. Since 2,5 month I don't have any warranty and i ordered no apple care. I thought its a 2000€ computer and should work at least 3 years without any problems. Now I have a problem.

Is it possible to replace only the LED backlight?? What can i do to fix it?

Last edited by Epola; Feb 20, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Epola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Yes

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...r-Board/1639/1
http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store...d-p-69133.html
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Epola
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your fast answer!
Do you think the backlight board makes trouble?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Hellhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epola View Post
Do you think the backlight board makes trouble?
It's the only part that makes sense.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:30 AM   #5
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Personally I would write to Apple and explain your situation in a polite and full manner, include the photos and express how hugely disappointed you are that a computer that cost you X amount and is Y months old is suffering such a major problem. I wouldn't get aggressive or even quote any legal jargon - just set your case out and ask them what they can do about this. I would also suggest you send this e-mail to the Steve Jobs email address (sjobs@apple.com), this circumvents the first line of Apple customer care and puts you in touch with Executive Relations who have far more authority.

Quote:
Hello,

since 3 days my display is in the left corner much dark than anywher else and sometimes it's flickering. But only the backlight turns on and off. Graphiccard seems to be okay. I don't have any problems with the display.

I think my LED backlight or the backlight board is defective. Our local Apple Service Provider made a quotation: display-change 670€ -that's to much. Since 2,5 month I don't have any warranty and i ordered no apple care. I thought its a 2000€ computer and should work at least 3 years without any problems. Now I have a problem.

Is it possible to replace only the LED backlight?? What can i do to fix it?

Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Epola
macrumors newbie

Today I changed the backlight board trying to fix my problem.

And: Nothing changed So I think the display itself is the problem, but an exchange would cost too much.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:05 AM   #7
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

as you dont have apple care ...

try what "spcdust" suggested , get in touch with apple DIRECT , some got lucky if they did ask polite, explaining the problem , without threatening to file a case against apple or even getting offensive , and some tears in the eyes help and they got things fixed outside warranty and a email to steve might help a lot

for example there are still some people getting displays for the early intel iMac's replaced free of charge as apple has recognized their problem was a manufacturing problem of a certain Chinese company back then and they are since years out of any warranty

its not who you speak to as long as he has authority to make a decision , its how

so a local apple service provider is not the right person to speak to , at the very least you should have tried the genius bar at the nearest apple store and speaking to the store manager as those have some authority, and if he says" NO" then go one step up the ladder

Last edited by MacHamster68; Mar 19, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Hellhammer

Quote:
Today I changed the backlight board trying to fix my problem.

And: Nothing changed So I think the display itself is the problem, but an exchange would cost too much.
You used Euros so where are you from? Most European countries have laws that protect consumers and a reasonable lifespan for a computer is not a year and a few months. In Finland, two years is the minimum lifespan for a computer set by Finnish consumer protection bureau, so if it breaks during that time, the seller/manufacturer should fix it as long as the consumer is wise enough to know his rights.

I'm sorry I forgot this when I first helped you but it's still worth it to give it a try. Find out what your legal rights are and if needed, contact the bureau in your country, they will help you.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Epola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
You used Euros so where are you from? Most European countries have laws that protect consumers and a reasonable lifespan for a computer is not a year and a few months. In Finland, two years is the minimum lifespan for a computer set by Finnish consumer protection bureau, so if it breaks during that time, the seller/manufacturer should fix it as long as the consumer is wise enough to know his rights.

I'm sorry I forgot this when I first helped you but it's still worth it to give it a try. Find out what your legal rights are and if needed, contact the bureau in your country, they will help you.

I'm from Germany. What should I do, when I call to apple support and they say: Its no warranty and I have to pay all.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Hellhammer

Quote:
I'm from Germany. What should I do, when I call to apple support and they say: Its no warranty and I have to pay all.
Quote:
The seller is liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from the moment of delivery
That is straight from EU's site and Germany is a member of EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_i...7_EN_final.pdf German version
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/citize...s/index_en.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/rights...hts_en.htm#gar

See those links for further information.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:02 PM   #11
BikerAlley
macrumors member

Looks to me like your still under warranty,
Don't tell them you have been in it and hope they don't find out..
That will end the warranty it self.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:17 PM   #12
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

sorry i have to say that in german or he goes to his nearest grocery store instead
wende Dich an die Verbraucherschutzzentrale Deines Bundeslandes

http://www.verbraucherzentrale.de/
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Yrjo Pesonen
macrumors newbie

Changing iMac 27" backlight only

I did successfully replace the backlight led strip to my late 09 27" iMac. The panel was the LG type (LM270WQ1 (SD)(A2) ).

Be aware that you need access to an old similar lcd display to get the led-strip from. The strip consists of left and right halves, both getting power from their own connectors accordingly. Only two strips at the bottom, none on the top/sides.

Here's how the change is done:

1) Remove the front glass and the whole lcd-panel. Note that information on how to get the panel out of the machine is described in myriads of places.

After carefully reading all the shortcuts to a fixhere (applying pressure on the panel behind the glass/soldering new wires to the faulty led connectors at the bottom of the panel) and confirming they do not help you, proceed.

(the leds in the strip can actually be dimmed and burnt, and once this process starts it accelerates rapidly (the remaining leds receive an overvoltage and burn one after another)

2)Disassemble the panel as described in many places, maybe best in the last link above, with quite detailed pictures (hopefully they are there still). In short: After removing the metal brackets that hold the screen in its place you have to rip of the metallic tapes going round the display and the metal lid of the control electronics on the top of the lcd.

I drew an exploded view of the display, plus took some photos of the teardown of the bottommost parts of the display. Sorry to say, the led strip is the very last component of the screen, attached to its place by a legion of very small srews that you barely can access when the panel is held upside down and open (in my pictures by a pen).

The principle is that you place the panel face down on table and once detaching the black plastic rim (screws/notches) lift the back plate up with a pen to get access to the leds. Be careful not to move the glass sheet and its white cover since they can be nasty to get in place.

pictures:

1) the exploded view
2) the led strip in its place (top), black metal rim (bottom). The srews are of course on the INSIDE of this construction.
3) pen holding the panel's back plate up, removed led strip on front.
4) Behind the black tape there are clips holding the strip in place.
5) Cut the green glue strip with a surgeon's knife. Mind some metal pins still giving resistance!

As you go through all this trouble be sure to wipe of any dust on the FRONT side on the panel…

On the link above the procedure is described for newer iMacs too (factory repair manual, lame…) So be sure to read the thread to its very end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imac 27%22 lcd late 09 exploded view.png
Views:	9
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	481571   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010868.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	481572   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010870.jpg
Views:	10