Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Recently, I got a few TV shows from iTunes, and for one amazing scene I wanted to get a screen capture for that so I could use it as my macbook pro's background. However, when I try to do this in either quicktime or iTunes, the area comes up as a checkered white/gray area. IF it's in a window, then just the video comes up like that. VLC won't even play the video. I've tried re-encoding it with Handbrake, only it doesn't recognize any valid source when I select the .m4v file.

Any ideas as to how I could get a screen grab of this? Would third-party software work?

If the screen grab wouldn't work, would it be possible to disable the copy protection so that I could actually get a screenshot? I know there would be some piracy concerns, but outside of letting other media players play it on my other computers, as well as the ability to get screenshots, the video stays on my hard drive and goes nowhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.