Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dino0829

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
As to the actual question, Handbrake, man. Handbrake.

Last edited by a moderator:

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Is there a way to rip DVDs to the iPhone for free?

I think that this is not legal.

Anyways on windows ( because macs sucks, seriously get a vmware if you need to xcode or something.. ok lets get back on track ):

Dvd decrypter

then you process what you decrypted in videora ipod converter

A .MP4 video will come out.

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You're allowed to make one copy of your collection for personal use. When I travel, I make a copy to play on my iPad or computer. Why risk your DVDs like that? This is also useful for parents, because they can have a playable copy for their spawn on trips, etc.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If you own the DVD it is legal to make a copy of it for your iPhone using Handbrake. Obviously you shouldn't distribute the copy to anyone else.

My PS3 and iPhone both play mp4 files, so I have been transferring my entire DVD collection to a hard drive so I can quickly access my movies!

You're allowed to make one copy of your collection for personal use. When I travel, I make a copy to play on my iPad or computer. Why risk your DVDs like that? This is also useful for parents, because they can have a playable copy for their spawn on trips, etc.

That's a great way to save battery life on your computer.

MacBookPr0

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That is illegal and I don't recommend it

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ugh. I am still shocked by how many people still get this wrong.

If it's legal, why is Handbrake and VLC split up into 2 programs?

Because, duh, it's illegal. Otherwise Handbrake would include everything. Right?

This is (of course) also why iTunes doesn't rip DVDs. Because it's against US law to circumvent the copy protection that all DVDs are sold with.

CDs don't have digital protection on them = iTunes rips them
DVDs have digital protection on them = iTunes won't rip them

That said, I wholeheartedly endorse ripping DVDs (with handbrake) because I consider it an entirely idiotic law. The fact that CD ripping IS legal just proves how stupid the whole thing is. Rip away, just keep the files to yourself. File-sharing is wrong but personal copies are not.

(Still illegal, though!)

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon

Because, duh, it's illegal. Otherwise Handbrake would include everything. Right?

This is (of course) also why iTunes doesn't rip DVDs. Because it's against US law to circumvent the copy protection that all DVDs are sold with.

CDs don't have digital protection on them = iTunes rips them
DVDs have digital protection on them = iTunes won't rip them

That said, I wholeheartedly endorse ripping DVDs (with handbrake) because I consider it an entirely idiotic law. The fact that CD ripping IS legal just proves how stupid the whole thing is. Rip away, just keep the files to yourself. File-sharing is wrong but personal copies are not.

(Still illegal, though!)

Yeah, the joke is it's legal to possess a copy of a DVD you own.

You just are not allowed to make the copy :/

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Miscegenation is also illegal and still on the books in many states, but that doesn't mean people prosecute for it. So yes I was mistaken; it's still illegal to make a personal copy, but common practice says they won't go after you for it.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Miscegenation is also illegal and still on the books in many states, but that doesn't mean people prosecute for it. So yes I was mistaken; it's still illegal to make a personal copy, but common practice says they won't go after you for it.

They won't go after you for it because there's no way to get busted if you're doing everything within your rights. If you make a copy of it to either back up your dvd or watch in on a laptop, ipod, iphone, etc; then no official of the FBI should ever be aware of it. It's when you make copies and start selling them on ebay, craigslist or the newspaper if you're into that; that somebody will catch on and things will get nasty. It's not like anybody is turning their head here. They just have tunnel vision and as long as you stay out of their field of vision in respect to this issue there's nothing they can do.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
If this DVD without copyright, I think you can try Leawo DVD to iPhone Converter free version. But if your DVD had pretected, this tool can also convert your DVD disc easily, but your behavior is illegal, I do not recommend you to do such thing.;)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Why are so many folks getting caught up in the legal/illegal thing? Geesh!, unless you are feeling guilty or something, who cares? No harm no foul. Who is going to catch you, the phone police?

To each there own I suppose. Copying movies or music after you've rented or bought isn't bringing the world to it knees. Distribution is the main purpose of the laws. I don't see anyone here selling them so let it go already.

To the OP'er just use handbrake. Works great. For home use Any DVD and Clone DVD are the perfect combo for backing up movies.

Last edited:

Philipppa

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
DVD to iPhone

Anyways on windows ( because macs sucks, seriously get a vmware if you need to xcode or something.. ok lets get back on track ):

Dvd decrypter

I don't think so. For personal usage, it's legal!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use DVD catalyst to rip DVD's. It's an all in one program but it is like 9-10 bucks. It's a pretty easy to pirate program cause they find security to only harm and limit a paying customer . So I bought it feeling bad to steal it.

I initially bought it for my Android tablet but there are some good settings for iPhone and iPad owners too.

Main reason I bought it was how they didn't skimp on quality during conversion. While it takes a little longer to convert you get the highest quality and with excellent compression the smallest file size.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
To the OP: just download VLC and install it. It just needs to be present; you never have to launch it. Then download Handbrake and use that to convert your DVDs to .mp4 or .m4v files. Google a tutorial on Handbrake as is can be somewhat complex until you get the hang of it.

You don't need a PC like CZK said. Macs can do a fine job ripping a DVD for no cost whatsoever.

Woomy123

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009

Dvd decrypter

Vlc and handbrake are way better

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have worked my way through my 600 + DVD collection using my mac for 99% of them.

Use a program called ripit (from the app store) to rip the DVD to your hard drive, and then use Handbrake to encode. I use the AppleTv preset because that is what my main use for the files, but i have found that these play fine on my iPhone. There is an iPhone preset if you prefer.

I use the twostep process because its easier to do them in batches of ten (rip ten then add all ten to HB and let it do its thing overnight). Also i have ran into some DVD protection that HB can not break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.