Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phoneinfo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
First, let me say I was one of the ones that jumped ship from AT&T's iphone to the Verizon iPhone, and I haven't looked back. Got it the first day, and haven't dropped a call yet. 4-5 bars everywhere I go. Very happy!

I do have a question about charging the iphone. Every night before going to bed I plug in my iphone and it charges until I wake up. I'll look at my iphone when I wake up and it has anywhere from 92-100% battery life. I'll get ready for work, and go unplug it and the batter life has gone from 97%-94%. Or this morning I woke up and it was at 92%. I got ready, and an hour later before leaving the house it was UP to 98%. I've noticed this pattern every day and it never dips below 92%, but goes up and down until I unplug it. However, my wife's exact same iphone 4 from Verizon stays at 100% battery life until she unplugs it. Anyone else having this problem? Is it a setting?

Thanks for the help!

Phoneinfo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
It does charge up to 100%. But then it starts to trickle down to 92%, then back up to 100%. It goes up and down in the 90-100% range.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Do a couple of full discharge/recharge cycles and then see if the same thing happens. If so, you probably need to get it replaced.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
As phoneinfo said, that is the way it works. When it reaches full charge, the charging circuitry terminates the charge to prevent overcharging. If the phone is in use, (not powered down) the charging circuitry will let it drop down below 95%, before it will start charging again. It will complete that cycle as long as you have it plugged in, and in use.

Just think about it, it has to work this way, otherwise the phone would overcharge, the battery would swell, and the back glass would be laying on the floor when get up in the morning.:D
Whoever designed the charging circuit for the phone, knew what they were doing. A design without this function, would be considered poor at best.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.