Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Should I wait until Lion is released to buy the new refresh MBP? I ask because who knows how much the upgrade might cost this time around.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I wouldn't wait. Lion isn't going to be more than 150 bucks. Using a MBP until the release it worth it to me.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I think and hope that it doesn't cost much more than Snow Leopard

Lion is a bigger change than Leopard to Snow Leopard so it's more likely the cost will be similar to the Tiger to Leopard upgrade.

I wouldn't wait for Lion either. If Lion gets delayed you might end up waiting for the next MBP refresh (could think Lion's release is too close to when the MBPs next get updated) after Lion's release.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
My experience when I bought my late 2008 MBP was that in a few months they released New ones that fully supported 8GB of RAM and the audio out via the MiniDisplay port, and my MBP was crippled so quickly. The battery is replaceable and sucks, the improved ones got more and more battery life.
So for all the new features of Lion there surely will be some hardware limitations in the Macs released before Lion.

Kalach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Lion will most likely be a lot more expensive than upgrade from leopard to snow leopard. If you're on a tight budget you should wait :)

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
My experience when I bought my late 2008 MBP was that in a few months they released New ones that fully supported 8GB of RAM and the audio out via the MiniDisplay port, and my MBP was crippled so quickly. The battery is replaceable and sucks, the improved ones got more and more battery life.
So for all the new features of Lion there surely will be some hardware limitations in the Macs released before Lion.

Didn't mba owner get discounted price for future lion osx?
Based on this, new mbp this thursday should be able to run lion in full mode.

aaps59

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
NY
Lion is most likely going to cost 30 bucks. If you dont feel like spending 30 dollars in a few months then just wait.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
With Snow Leopard, Apple let people who bought a Mac 6 months prior to its release order an "upgrade" disc for $10 (it turned out to be identical to the retail one). They may do this with Lion.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Doesn't seem like they'd upgrade anything in just a couple months when Lion is released. But what do I know. :)

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
If you need it now, buy it now.

If you can wait, wait. There will likely be refurbs of the refreshed models by then also.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Yea go ahead and wait. In fact, why don't you wait for Snow lion?

In fact, why don't you wait for Mac OS dragon?

Mac OS lion is due to be released this summer. It could be August or be as late as September.

There will be another rumor spreading all over the internet about new MBP, then.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Lion is most likely going to cost 30 bucks. If you dont feel like spending 30 dollars in a few months then just wait.

Doubt it. SL was 30 because it was basically just a tuned up leopard. Lion is expected to bring more than just that.

bensnowden

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
I can't see why there would be any hardware update before Lion, surely the new MBP will have had lion tested on it, and specs made so that it can run Lion smoothly?

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
So you guys really think it could be updated with important features like lightpeak, etc.? Just seems weird to update that soon with such new features. But who knows.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I'm personally holding off unless my beloved 2 year old MBP decides to die on me. This thing has been extremely reliable and without directly comparing it to any of the newer MBP, I really do not feel that it's in any way outdated. I'm sure it's not as fast but as long as I keep my hands away from the new ones, I wouldn't know that. Ignorance is bliss :D

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'd bet Lion will be $29 for upgrade disk.

For me that makes it worth the upgrade. Plus an upgrade disk has always been a full disk. For $30 it's worth it to me.

And if I remember right wasn't Leopard 10.5 $30 as well?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I strongly suspect Lion (10.7) will be a lot like Leopard (10.5), which retailed at $129 with $9.95 up-to-date program for those that have purchased a Mac within 1 month prior to Lion's release date.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think is better to buy the full LION OS then going with Lion OS upgrade. What you guys think.?

There's no difference with OSX as far as I know. Everyone who can 'legally' install OSX already has a copy of OSX, so it's always called an 'upgrade' version. That doesn't mean that you can't do a clean install though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.