Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I've got a cheap Bissell, bought at Wal-mart, that's ready to die or I'm ready to kill it. It's never performed to my satisfaction even though I don't have a lot of real-estate to clean. Some carpets, wood and tile.

What do you use and recommend?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have a Roomba, and some cheap $30 Dirt Devil stick vac for quick cleanups or areas the Roomba has difficulty getting into. Works well for my one bedroom, childless, petless apartment.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
I like my Dyson.

.... and another!

Try vacuuming your house with any other make, then go round again with a Dyson, you'll be amazed how much extra cr*p you pick up!

I have 2, a DC14 upright and a DC31 Animal handheld - both great!

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Oreck XL21. We would have gotten the Dyson upright except that from our in store testing at Sears we did we found that it weighs a ton a half compared to the Oreck and the Dyson was also really hard to push. Not good for people with arthritis like my Mom.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I like Dysons as well; they're quite loud but the suction is great. We have a DC 22 I think; one of the small ones.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I've got a Kirby G7D. It blows the Dyson I use to have out of the water, or should I say sucks. They are also good for 20 to 25 years, though I suspect with proper maintenance they will last much longer.

Although I would buy a rebuilt unit with all accessories, they run $250 to $300 for a 4 year old unit that still has 16 to 21 years of life. Rather than $1800 for a new one.

I know some reviews have shown cheaper brands being equivalent to Kirby in power. But in 10 years those plastic pieces of s*** will be in the trash while the heavy duty aluminum Kirby with a rebuild-able motor will still look and act brand new.

Even when the bag is nearly full it has more suction power than an empty Dyson. A review I read convinced me to get a used Kirby "Kirby or Dyson Vacuum - Which is Better?".

There are two big drawbacks to the Kirby. It is heavy so not a great option for the weak or with back problems, though the carrying handle helps a lot. The other is going from vacuum to attachments. Which is not that big of a hassle. I've timed it at about 20 seconds to switch from the vacuum head to the hose. A small drawback is vacuum bags but they are good for about 5 months of weekly use.

The advantages of the Kirby beyond the power and long life. The parts are easy to clean. Most any normal maintenance part can be accessed without tools. There are many accessories mine came with a carpet shampooing kit. They also have attachments for polishing floors and sanding them. It is quite compared to many vacuums.

The standard accessories include an edging cleaner, upholstery, angle handle, hard floor roller, pet groomer (my cats flee from this), wall and vent tool plus many others I can't identify.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The entry lever Miele is great for my hardwood floors, light and quiet. Has been reliable for years. So much better that those horrible plastic things they sell at WallofChinaMart.

The Dyson sounds awesome as well. Like the commercials and good reviews.

genejockey

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Miele. Its filtration system limits the amount of dust and fine particulates that get released in the exhaust air flow. The machine is relatively quiet as well. Kind of pricey and our model doesn't have the black hole space-bending suction power of the Kirbys, but we find it to be quite sufficient for our purposes (hardwood floors plus rugs, 4 active but relatively civilized kids, no indoor pets).

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I got the Dyson DC 25. In fact, there is a thread somewhere around here about that very subject. I got convinced after a friend bought one and ran it immediately after running the old one through the house. The Dyson picked up a bunch of stuff the other one left behind. I NEVER thought I would be spending that much on something like a vacuum, but it was worth it. I guess it's kind of like spending more to get our favorite computers. :)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Dyson. If you have a pet then you'll be thankful you have one of these. Even if you don't, you'll be amazed at what it picks up even after using your old vac. Pretty pricey but worth every penny IMO.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
We have a Dyson DC28 Animal, and it has been completely worth the $600. When we bought it, we vacuumed with our old Oreck XL before using the Dyson, and when we ran the Dyson afterwards, we were able to fill the canister over 3 times. When we still used the Oreck, we had to vacuum every 2-3 days, now we only vacuum once a week, and sometimes less.

They're pricey, heavy, and noisy, but completely worth it. The amount of dust in our house has been drastically reduced because our carpets aren't holding the dust anymore, and the attachments work wonders on pet hair on our furniture.

-Don

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
We've got a Rainbow E-2.

Was it overpriced? You bet.
Is it the absolute best vacuum we've ever used? Yep.
Will it last for 20+ years? My parents have a friend that have used one for longer than I've been alive (29 yrs).

Pros:
No bags or dusty canisters to empty. It uses water to capture all the dust and dirt (fine ash [not water soluble] is filtered out by a HEPA filter) so the air coming out of the exhaust is actually cleaner than when it goes in. It'll actually take the smell of bacon, fish, etc. out of the air just by vacuuming our house or letting it run in air filter mode (low power).

It will also suck up water with no issues and it too "never loses suction" [that's an outright lie for any vacuum though. At some point the canisters will become too filled to hold any dirt and will then clog the intake. It takes more dirt than I'm sure your carpet is holding but it could happen]).

It's extremely well made. Heavy plastic housings with heavy rubber bumpers and stainless steel attachments.

The beater bar is crazy easy to take off and clean with no tools. An extra belt is included and stored in the housing should the attached thick one break (pretty unlikely).

When started it sounds like a turbo charger spooling up a jet engine. Useless? Yes, but I do love that sound.

Cons:
It's a two part system. The beater bar is separate from the canister/main vacuum so it's harder than I'd like to lug around.

It's heavy.

It's a pain to clean until you get it down. The canister has to be dumped out then rinsed out. The separator (separates the air from the water) has to be unscrewed (tool included in the housing) and cleaned as well. Then everything has to be dried.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.