Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimithing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
As anyone who has slipped up and, heaven forbid, dropped or somehow otherwise maimed there gorgeous aluminum enclosure on there shiny new macbook knows, it's not that hard to do.

So luckily, Speck, although not the only option, makes a great, and most importantly light weight, case for the 11.6" Macbook Air. I chose to Purchase the "see-thru" clear version of the case. It is also offered in a "black satin" variety that is somewhat abrasive and sticky to the touch. Having had the "satin" variety for my recently sold Macbook Pro 13", I opted for the Clear Version.

If you can't decide between the two, I would conclude that both offer the same amount of over-all protection. And both are the same weight. Where the two differ is Form vs. Function.

The Clear "See-Thru" variety being more on the form side, it is definitely more aesthetically pleasing. You retain the devilishly good looks of the aluminum unibody, and actually almost make them look shinier and sleeker! While providing great protection for your macbook. No more worrying about laptop belt buckle scratches or slides off your lap onto the hardwood. Well, maybe the last one...

On the other hand, If you are more on the side of function. The "Satin" black or "Smoke", as they call it, color is because of its sticky texture more functional. It almost has the quality of one of those dashboard top iphone holders that uses its "gel-like" texture to keep your spendy gadget stuck in one place while you weave in and out of traffic. Almost. I wouldn't advise you stick your Speck case equipped macbook air on the dash of your little red corvette anytime soon. You may see your investment go flying out the window.... literally. Although, under more practical and dare I say common cases the "satin" covering does give it a more "secure" feeling for everyday handling.

All in all, this case, and its simple snap on function, come highly recommended. Which ever version you prefer, I would definitely invest in some sort of protection for your new toy. At around $60 US they are on the spendy side. They however can usually be found on Ebay or Amazon for less. I purchased mine for around 40!! Happy hunting!

Attachments

• speck-seethru-satin.jpg
    speck-seethru-satin.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,433

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
I would be interested to read the rest of the review. Hope you will post it!

For example:

How does it look on the computer?

Added weight (See Thru Speck for MBP adds one pound, for example)?

Thickness?

Edges? Sharp?

Does it seem as though any clips may damage the finish?

How hard to get on and off for the recommended regular cleaning? Does the thinness of the Air make it seem as though that might "torture" it?

etc.

Thanks,
Miss Terri

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I've been trying to find some more in depth reviews myself. Specifically, I want to find out if there are clips that might interfere with the Moshi palmguard I have on order.

Heading to the Apple Store later today to check them out. I'll post some pics if I end up picking one up.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Okay, kids. I went to the Apple Store and picked up a clear case today. I have a Moshi palmguard and BodyGuardz skin on order and will be taking off the case when those arrive but I wanted to try out this case and keep my MBA perfect until they arrive.

The case is very nice. Like others have said, it doesn't add much bulk at all. The clear is pretty glossy though. Not sure if I really like that.

Here's a link to some high res photos that I took to try and show the thickness and how it all fits on the MBA. Enjoy!

Speck SeeThru MacBook Air 13" Case

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
I bought the black one and liked it...but not enough to pay $50 for it so I returned it.

Apple products are just too dang sexy to cover up with a case.

jimithing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
review times 2

ok as far as weight goes, its rated to weigh about 1/2 a pound I believe. The thickness added is minimal. Less than 1mm I would say. Not noticable at all.

As for a palm guard, I know my old speck case caused problems with palm guards where users had to cut out tiny bits of the palmguard where the clips were. On this model I don;t believe that would be necessary. Because of the curvature to the edges as opposed to the very 90 degree angle like sides of the macbook pro, it almost attaches to the curve more than grabbing over and onto the palm surface. So, in my opinion, no modification would need to be done to attach a palm guard.

As far as the clips being obtrusive or however you put it. No, they are great, you can't even see them. And I'd love to add pics of my own but my DSLR died a few weeks ago. RIP d90.

As far as the comment about the shiny effect, I actually think it looks great, you can see that awesome aluminum body and you have the added comfort of knowing it wont get scratched. only downside is you dont get to feel the aluminum (I dunno about you, but I dig it)

Well I hope that clears up some of your questions For those of you that care I apologize about the shotty review. It was late. Not to mention I'm a short story writer by trade.

jimithing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Review times 2...ps

7.3 ounces for the Clear 11" speck case. Surprisingly only 6.7 for the Black Satin version. To be exact. I got those off of specks site. The half pound figure was on an ebay retailers page. I guess its a round figure, 7 ounces is "close" to a half pound. But I know in our world, half a pound means jack. WE NEED HUNDRETHS BABY!!

jimithing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Oh... hah...

Easy on and off... have done it a few times due to noticing tiny specks caught inside between the case and macbook, so I'vr taken it off and put it back on a few times to clean it. It left no marks at all on the macbook. Like I mention the clips are very tiny and unobtrusive, that being said they hold extremely well. So Like I said this case is great. and the 7 ounces give or take it adds to the weight is not noticeable. at all.

karlegas

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Okay, kids. I went to the Apple Store and picked up a clear case today. I have a Moshi palmguard and BodyGuardz skin on order and will be taking off the case when those arrive but I wanted to try out this case and keep my MBA perfect until they arrive.

The case is very nice. Like others have said, it doesn't add much bulk at all. The clear is pretty glossy though. Not sure if I really like that.

Here's a link to some high res photos that I took to try and show the thickness and how it all fits on the MBA. Enjoy!

Speck SeeThru MacBook Air 13" Case

I have a MBA 13" with the Speck Clear Case since the first day, I hace the Moshi Palmguard and Keyboard Skin. Sometimes feel that the bottom part loose in one corner this is normal or I need replaced?

Also Brandon how you change the color of the Apple Logo on the cover, you use some paper color.

Thanks

Karl

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have a MBA 13" with the Speck Clear Case since the first day, I hace the Moshi Palmguard and Keyboard Skin. Sometimes feel that the bottom part loose in one corner this is normal or I need replaced?

Also Brandon how you change the color of the Apple Logo on the cover, you use some paper color.

Thanks

Karl

I noticed that the bottom on mine was loose as well. I ended up taking it back simply because I have the Moshi Palmguard and full BodyGuardz skins on the way. They should be here in a couple of days and then I know I'd never put the Speck cover back on.

I'd take yours back and see if you get a better fit. I noticed it loose right indent at the bottom of the trackpad.

The logo is courtesy of a translucent sticker that I got from etsy.com. I don't remember the exact person I got it from but there are lots of them for sale there.

karlegas

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I ended up taking it back simply because I have the Moshi Palmguard and full BodyGuardz skins on the way. They should be here in a couple of days and then I know I'd never put the Speck cover back on.

I will suggest use the Speck with the other protections. Moshi Palmguard not interferes with the case cover, and the scratch guard is a good idea but not protect of a fall or blend of your MBA.

I reset the case bottom and now feels is firm.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I cannot believe the lengths people go to like, install a Speck plastic case over an invisible shield? Seriously, you are improving the resale value for certain, but I believe you're missing the shear joy of the touch and look of the aluminum.

I don't even use an actual laptop case, as I just stick the MBA between a notepad and a magazine or some papers... and guess what, no scratches, dings, or anything. I have been doing it like this since my original MBA, when I was too worried about damaging it.

In the end, it is so much more enjoyable to just love the MBA for what it is, and all of its amazing features of design are hidden when covered like this. Seriously, go get a white MB if you just want something hidden behind all that plastic. Just my two cents, but live a little people, and enjoy the MBA and its beautiful design rather than hiding it.

GT-R

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
i wish i had installed the speck case earlier, by the time it was available at the apple store locally i already have a slight ding on the hinge portion of the top lid...

never dropped my air, i always keep it in a sleeve... i carry it with me in a messenger bag for school and work, and i guess i might have bumped it while walking by a wall or something

the clear case retains the look of the air, the case is barely visible because it is clear... i plan on getting a palm guard as well just to protect the palm area from discoloring (which i see on my sis' 15" pro and its FUGLY)

when u spend over a G on a laptop, buying a $60 case to protect it is perfectly justifiable... but getting a full body shield + case might be a bit of an overkill, speck case + palm guard + screen protector should suffice

one028

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
does anyone know if it will fit over a zagg invisible shield..i already have it installed and dont want to take it off..

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I cannot believe the lengths people go to like, install a Speck plastic case over an invisible shield? Seriously, you are improving the resale value for certain, but I believe you're missing the shear joy of the touch and look of the aluminum.

I don't even use an actual laptop case, as I just stick the MBA between a notepad and a magazine or some papers... and guess what, no scratches, dings, or anything. I have been doing it like this since my original MBA, when I was too worried about damaging it.

In the end, it is so much more enjoyable to just love the MBA for what it is, and all of its amazing features of design are hidden when covered like this. Seriously, go get a white MB if you just want something hidden behind all that plastic. Just my two cents, but live a little people, and enjoy the MBA and its beautiful design rather than hiding it.

To each his own...

I never put anything on my 15" MBP except a Moshi palmguard and I will say that I love the feel of the aluminum body. I don't like covering up what Apple has designed (no iPhone case either!).

My logic was that with the BodyGuardz (which I installed tonight and look great so far!), I'll protect the MBA in case I want to sell it later and, it's so dang light that I was afraid it might get bumped around more than my MBP.

One of the reasons I did take the Speck case back though was that I didn't like covering up my MBA. Oh, and cause I was gonna put the BodyGuardz on it anyway.

I do agree that it'd be pretty silly to use both products.

noripwr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I'd hate to revive an old thread, but I suppose I will to provide insight to future Speck case owners for their MBA.

Beware!

Like others have mentioned, it is loose towards the bottom of the trackpad as there are no clips to hold the case in place. I have the 13 inch and I'm not sure if the case is vastly different on the 11, but on the 13 there are only 4 clips on the case (two rear corner and two front corners). With that said, the bottom front of mine is loose (never snug) and allows particles to go in. Also, there are no clips near the mic area so the sides there are loose too (not snug). Disappointing considering the MBP speck cases were superb albeit heavier.

edit: interesting tidbit. while taking off the bottom case of the speck, I noticed the right side of the top lid is a tad thicker and sticks out more than the left side.

Last edited:

drbf

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I'd hate to revive an old thread, but I suppose I will to provide insight to future Speck case owners for their MBA.

Beware!

Like others have mentioned, it is loose towards the bottom of the trackpad as there are no clips to hold the case in place. I have the 13 inch and I'm not sure if the case is vastly different on the 11, but on the 13 there are only 4 clips on the case (two rear corner and two front corners). With that said, the bottom front of mine is loose (never snug) and allows particles to go in. Also, there are no clips near the mic area so the sides there are loose too (not snug). Disappointing considering the MBP speck cases were superb albeit heavier.

edit: interesting tidbit. while taking off the bottom case of the speck, I noticed the right side of the top lid is a tad thicker and sticks out more than the left side.

I have not had that problem on my MBA 13, the case is very snug on the bottom front?

GT-R

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
no problems here, but i have the clear one and 11" mba

perhaps the clear and the black are made of different materials?

i do notice that the clear case scratches pretty easily, its covered with scuffs if i look at it under bright lighting... is there anyway to polish the clear case while keeping it see through? i'm afraid that if i use polish it would make the clear case fuzzy looking (which would make it look worse)

jameschho

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
Pasadena, CA
does anyone know if it will fit over a zagg invisible shield..i already have it installed and dont want to take it off..

I have tried to install it over BodyGuardz Protective Film and it DID NOT fit. The tolerances of the Speck See Through are extremely tight.

noripwr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I had a Moshi Palmguard and the Speck will not fit with the Palmguard on. I'm not entirely sure if the black satin and see-thrus are made differently, but mine is definitely loose at the bottom of the trackpad and on both sides (left side near the mic and right side near the SD slot).

Also, the see-thru gets scratches easily. I have a lot of scratches in the bottom. The MBP satin on the other hand gets a bunch of fingerprints that I can't seem to clean off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.