Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebbo90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Right I know this might have been asked before, but I cant seem to gte an answer for these two games. And yes I know it's not built for gaming, was just wondering If i could do abit of casual gaming on it.

So has anyone played COD black ops or Bad Company 2 on this config? or even the base 11?

Did it play? FPS etc?

Many thanks

Icebreaker117

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
I have tried the single player campaign of Black Ops on the base 11 inch model (2gb RAM). I was running it under Windows 7 bootcamped. I had FRAPS running which showed an average of 30 frames per second in the opening cinematic. As soon as the guys hand is stabbed on the bar, it drops to around 15 frames per second and is rendered unplayable. I would love to know someone elses results with the 4gb model.
I imagine that playing multiplayer frames per second is better due to less graphical items being loaded. Anyone else tried multiplayer or single player with the 4gb ram model??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ You should have tried it without FRAPS.

Others have posted that it destroys peformance at the lower end. Running it without FRAPS it seems to get 25-30 fps.

Icebreaker117

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Interesting, I didn't realize fraps impacted the performance of games, I didn't notice any difference in just cause 2 with or without it. Do u know if there is a console command for black ops frames per second? I will try it without fraps and see what frames per second I can get.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I've been using Fraps for years and I've never noticed any performance degredation from simply having the OSD up. Recording is another matter all together however.

That said, i'm going to have to give a very resounding "NO" to these games. I own both and run them on varying hardware configurations. The MBA will not handle them in a manner which I personally would consider playable and enjoyable. Modern Warfare, and MW2 should run alright as well as any Source based games like Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I have loaded Black Op's on my 11" Ultimate and it blows. Even after tweaking the config file and overclocking, its just plain ass. MW2 & COD4 are good under Win7, but thats a huge partition just for a few games on the tiny 128GB SSD.

I dont own a OSX version of COD4, but I would bet the Windows version would perform much better. (Esp with the overclock)

St. G

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
Fraps hasn't seemed to interfere with any test I've run, on the MBA or otherwise. Though, of course, if the effect was small, I'd likely not be able to SPOT the effect, as without FRAPs, I don't have a specific number to look at.

In any case, the MBA has been capable of playing every game I've thrown at it so far*, and at settings that look fine to me. So I'm not sure exactly what "high end" gaming this thing is supposedly not able to do.

*-On Windows. I don't hate myself enough to game in OSX.

Last edited:

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Fraps hasn't seemed to interfere with any test I've run, on the MBA or otherwise. Though, of course, if the effect was small, I'd likely not be able to SPOT the effect, as without FRAPs, I don't have a specific number to look at.

In any case, the MBA has been capable of playing every game I've thrown at it so far*, and at settings that look fine to me. So I'm not sure exactly what "high end" gaming this thing is supposedly not able to do.

*-On Windows. I don't hate myself enough to game in OSX.

Quoted for truth.

It's very unclear in most of these threads whether people are talking about running the games properly or through garbage ports.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The MBA can't do much of any "high end" gaming. Black Ops and BC2 will not run well regardless of settings. That's before we get into the really demanding games like Crysis and Metro. My video card alone in my PC uses more than 3x the power the entire mba does and those cards exist for a reason. They certainly wouldn't be around if something like a 320m and a ULV Core 2 Duo was capable of anything resembling high end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.