Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Its a great way to turn your MBA into a lump of aluminum.

this was obviously an ignorant post from someone that hasn't used it before.

i had it on my MBP but not on my MBA (no need for it so far).

there's no way to make the fans run slower or less than the minimum RPMs and it doesn't keep you locked at the fan speed that you set...if your temperatures get high and you require more fan speed, then it will allow the fans to kick up automatically, as necessary.

hence, there's no way it'll contribute to your computer overheating.

what it does do is allow you to run your fans higher than normal if you want to make sure your computer doesn't get hot, or if you're anticipating that what you're doing is going to make it hot and you don't want to wait for the temps to reach 70-80 degrees before the fans kick in.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I use it on an old Intel iMac (music jukebox computer) with GPU issues (artifacts) to boost the fan speed. This seems for me at least to solve that issue (artifacts around 40C, fan keeps it at 28C).

On the MBA, nah, not needed. Hardly kicks in anyway.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Don't really use it on the Air but it is installed incase I do need it. I use it all the time on my Mac Mini though. I am currently in the process of ripping and encoding my entire dvd collection onto the Mini.

While Handbrake is running without SMC Fan Control the temperature would climb to around 80C, and the stock settings would never increase fan speed so the Mini would hovering around 80c for hours on end.

With SMC installed I can set the fans at 4k RPM before I set the Mini to start ripping and encoding and during the entire process it never goes above 63C. So if I can save the Mini from running 20+ degrees hotter for hours and hours I would imagine that would increase the life of the Mini.

Yes it may wear the fan out prematurely but I would rather replace the fan than CPU, logic board or other.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I've used smcFanControl on my black MacBook for years. My black MacBook would routinely run hot in the 70C range from the day I got it. Never had any problems with smcFanControl and it has kept my black MacBook running at least 10-20 degrees cooler depending on what I'm doing. My black MacBook is 4+ years old and still running strong.

I currently have smcFanControl installed on my 11.6" MBA. I only up my fan speed when watching NetFlix or Hulu+, but I run it all the time so I can see my CPU temp and fan speed on the menu bar.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
It was essential in my 2006-vintage original-model MacBook Pro, which ran hot and was uncomfortable in my lap. I kept the fans spinning at a fairly high rate, especially on hot days. This helped keep the computer comfortable.

I have it installed in my early-2010 MacBook Pro but can't remember the last time I changed it from factory default fan speeds. That computer generally runs cool.

It can speed up your fans but will never drop them below the factory fan RPM for a given temperature.

My take on it is, no harm installing it; if you don't need it, it does no harm, and using it judiciously can make your computer more comfortable to use and perhaps assist the lifetime of some components. You may find you use it on hot days only. But cranking up your fan speeds unnecessarily will wear out the fans prematurely.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I've used smcfancontrol for years, excellent app. Don't really need it on my mba as it stays cool for my usage anyway - love how, with coolbook, my mba runs 1080p video at 59 degrees C at default 2000rpm.

However, it's essential imo if you use handbrake or play games etc. I echo what b-rad g said, the fans on my late 08 mbp wouldn't fire up to max when it really ought to, whereas smc easily enables you to prevent your cpu hitting 85 degrees plus.

Plus, personally I find it reassuring seeing the temp and fan speed permanently in the toolbar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.