Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Could anyone point me in the direction of an email app that is modern, lightweight and slick, like Sparrow (10.7 styling?), but for Exchange? I have Outlook, but it's a bit bulky for most of the time, and of course, I have mail, but for some reason it's just slow and takes an age to download new e-mails.

Cheers!
Jamie

PurpleMarmalade

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
There isn't one, I'm afraid. The only two email clients for the Mac that connect to Exchange email are Outlook and Mail (SL). The only way to broaden that would be to connect via IMAP instead.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I do believe Exchange has built in IMAP, doesn't it? Does that change things?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Exchange does indeed support IMAP and POP3, however it requires opening additional ports on a firewall and there are other issues inherent with using these mail types that are not as slick as Exchange.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I do believe Exchange has built in IMAP, doesn't it? Does that change things?
It changes everything. Exchange is what Microsoft and the knuckle-draggers who operate your server say it is. IMAP and POP3 are open standards. If you access your Exchange server via IMAP, then it is an IMAP server to you. If you access your Exchange server via POP3, then it is a POP3 server to you. You can't convert an IMAP or POP3 client into an Exchange client by accessing the Exchange server via IMAP or POP3.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
It's definitely Exchange, and it's hosted by 1&1. I wish Sparrow would incorporate Exchange :(

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
UK
sorry to bombard here...but is sparrow any good, Im still using Mail with my gmail? am i too old skool here?

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Personally I find to be the hands-down best lightweight and user-friendly e-mail client for Mac OS X. But unfortunately it does not support protocols like Exchange and others..

If you are only going to use Gmail, or other POP and / or IMAP friendly e-mail providers Sparrow is an excellent choice if you want something easy to use, user-friendly and lightweight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.