Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
anyone experience the same thing...?

I am running an "always changing" wallpaper (change every 1 minute),
so, by right, it shouldn't produce a black line burnt mark.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
photo.JPG

Taken, using my iPhone. If you see closely, you will see a black mark across the middle(right) of the screen.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I hate the idea that anyone should have to use a keyboard cover (what a pain in the ass), but it seems that if you put the Air in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff, it can get squeezed and the keys / bar between the keyboard and trackpad can contact the screen. If you do that (squeeze the Air in a large bag or backpack), then I'd get a cover...

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Good...because i hate that "rubber feel".

There are two things being discussed here - there is a "Keyboard cover" that is something like silicone that covers your keys and you type through it. There is also a "Keyboard cover" which is a piece of cloth that you place over the keyboard when you close the lid - the second is what I'm referencing in my post above.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
I looked at the screen just now and confirmed it is caused by the the "kerb" between the keyboard & the trackpad... Maybe I should start use that rubber keyboard cover to prevent any more damages...

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I looked at the screen just now and confirmed it is caused by the the "kerb" between the keyboard & the trackpad... Maybe I should start use that rubber keyboard cover to prevent any more damages...

You don't want a rubber keyboard to prevent this from happening... You want a cloth that covers your keyboard and prevents that "kerb" or your keys from coming into contact with your LCD screen when you notebook is closed.

Such as...

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=119

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore

trevolly

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I've had the self same problem with my 13" MacBook Air. I took it to my Apple store and the genius said that I had squeezed it too much even thou its in an contour sleeve and then an STM Alley laptop bag.

They eventually agreed to swap the screen. I contacted AppleCare in the UK and they said that they had never heard of the problem and there is no differnece in the MacBook Air screen and the current MacBook Pro screen......

Jognt

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Netherlands
Can you clean it off of the screen?

My black MacBook had a line across the screen lining up with the bottom of the keyboard. This line was mainly filth/dust though, so after removing the dust with a bit of carefull brushing, I could use something like a sock to remove the line. (careful circular motion, breathing on the screen for moisture)

To prevent it from happening again i simply took a piece of 'high-absorbent' kitchen towel, and I place that in between.

Never had the problem again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.