Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I was thinking about this- both Dropbox and Netflix have subscription plans that their apps allow access to... and these apps are pretty significantly used in the iOS community.

When will Apple force them to implement in-app purchasing within their apps in accordance to the new policies?

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
This is getting crazy. How much money does Steve want to make? What more could they possibly need more revenue for. What are they going to spend it on? Is Steve jobs the smartest and most aggressive business man ever?

Google found this.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/02...x-a-pass-on-in-app-subscription-requirements/

"Earlier this month Business Insider reported that Apple has decided to give Netflix a pass on collecting its 30% cut from in-app subscriptions on iOS devices like the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad."

Can someone help with how to do the shortened Link with the Link title?

Last edited:

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
My guess is that Apple will make agreements like that with major app developers like Amazon, Netflix, etc. Others (like Dropbox) will get around it by not offering the subscription service in-app, you'll have to set up the paid service on your computer.

I just think it's an untenable position to force EVERY developer to fork over an extra 30%, both from a monopoly point-of-view as well from a developer relations pov.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.