Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
jinxednuance
macrumors regular

Looking for a messenger app, similar to WhatsApp

Hi,

Is there an app that works like WhatsApp (or similarly) where IPhone users and Blackberry users can use at the same time like WhatsApp?

Thank you!
jinxednuance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Carlanga
macrumors 601

AFAIK no... WhatsApp is the best and costs only a $1!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
hugecanoli
macrumors newbie

Check out pingchat. I've converted most of my friends and family to it, and best of all it's free.
hugecanoli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:38 AM   #4
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugecanoli View Post
Check out pingchat. I've converted most of my friends and family to it, and best of all it's free.
interesting, I hate specific app ID's though, whatsapp only needs the phone number that is stored in your contacts for that person and it automatically tells you which persons have the app and you can interact w/ them more easily. My guess is that pingchat is free now to increase their userbase and once is big enough they will start charging like all others...
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:55 AM   #5
jinxednuance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
AFAIK no... WhatsApp is the best and costs only a $1!
The only reason I don't like What'sApp is because it is generally slow on the Iphone4. I have a friend of mine that uses it and she says that it's slower than sending an SMS. Since I have a Blackberry, can anyone confirm this?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:15 AM   #6
oakie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to oakie Send a message via Skype™ to oakie
kik messenger, unless blackberry has banned it like they threatened to in the recent past. or google voice, which is free, uses standard SMS and thus is compatible with anything out there, not requiring your friends to have to start using/buy an app.

i just use SMS since it works with every phone.
oakie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:21 AM   #7
jinxednuance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakie View Post
kik messenger, unless blackberry has banned it like they threatened to in the recent past. or google voice, which is free, uses standard SMS and thus is compatible with anything out there, not requiring your friends to have to start using/buy an app.

i just use SMS since it works with every phone.
Yeah but I am only needing it because the person I am messaging is overseas, and texting is expensive compared to a data plan.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxednuance View Post
The only reason I don't like What'sApp is because it is generally slow on the Iphone4. I have a friend of mine that uses it and she says that it's slower than sending an SMS. Since I have a Blackberry, can anyone confirm this?
that's weird, I use it to msj internationally too and there is no lag of response from either end...
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:02 PM   #9
JohnBossu
macrumors member

Quote:
Im using whatsapp on both my blackberry and iphone 4 and yes it is faster in blackberry than in iphone somehow, but the difference is not that significant tho
JohnBossu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Jay4597
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I have a BlackBerry as well and so far it's working absolutely fine for me. It is, although, a wee bit slow but that is nothing to worry about.
Jay4597 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
TG1
macrumors 6502

Viber works great for me (iPhone) and my GF (Android) since we're both on limited messaging plans. Available for Blackberry.
TG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps