Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1
foidulus
macrumors 6502a

Beards and job interviews, still a faux pas?

Well after running away to grad school for two years it's time for job interviewing again. Since the last time I interviewed(years and years ago) I've decided to grow a beard, but at least according to my very conservative mother this is a big no-no when interviewing.

It's 2011, are beard-havers still discriminated against? Do interviewers even care any more as long as the facial hair is groomed and not off the wall? Anyone here do the bearded interview?

Thanks and beard power!
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:31 AM   #2
adk
macrumors 68000

Beards are perfectly acceptable, so long as you're applying for a job as a sea captain.

adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

I'd shave it now, and if you get hired, I'd grow it back again when it's too late and they legally can't fire a guy because he has a beard.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Hit or miss. It can be used to screw with how old you look.
I more than likely going to shave mine off when I start interviewing to make me look 5-6 years younger but then again I am almost 28 and I am going after some internships that often people in early 20's are after.

As much as it pains me I am going to shave it off to look more like I am in my early 20's instead of 27-28 like I do. I will admit that a will grow it back shortly after I get the job.
When I was going after my first job I left it on as it made me look older and look like I was more 22-23 which was the norm.

Biggest thing is it depends how fast you can grow it. Some people to get a good facial hair or get back where it was takes very long time. For me to regrow it back to what I have and like takes about a week so not a big deal to me.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:23 AM   #5
stev3n
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post
Well after running away to grad school for two years it's time for job interviewing again. Since the last time I interviewed(years and years ago) I've decided to grow a beard, but at least according to my very conservative mother this is a big no-no when interviewing.

It's 2011, are beard-havers still discriminated against? Do interviewers even care any more as long as the facial hair is groomed and not off the wall? Anyone here do the bearded interview?

Thanks and beard power!
I am in the same boat but I have phone interview this week. I'm also new to growing a beard.
stev3n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:19 AM   #6
Xeperu
macrumors 6502

Depends on the job.

And yes, when hiring people I have rejected candidates based on their appearance (beard included). I have never hired people based on their appearance though . My PA is a very ugly old woman.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:04 AM   #7
glocke12
Banned

Shave it.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
You may be discriminated because of anything. The thing is, you will never know what is the reason. Shaving your beard does not guarantee that you will get the job, but neither does keeping it guarantee that you will not get it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:26 AM   #9
troutspinner
macrumors 6502

It's the old when in doubt, always do routine here. If you have enough concern to make it a post on a public forum I think you know the answer.

Now go be a good little boy and shave that beard for mommy.
troutspinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:13 AM   #10
kellen
macrumors 68020

I agree with what everyone has said. While it may not hurt, why risk it? Granted I wouldn't want to be a part of a place that made such an important decision based upon facial hair. But I wouldn't risk it. Shave it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:14 AM   #11
neko girl
macrumors 6502a

Shave it. It'll grow back.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:27 AM   #12
gkarris
macrumors 604

Too lazy to shave = too lazy to work...
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
I'd shave it now, and if you get hired, I'd grow it back again when it's too late and they legally can't fire a guy because he has a beard.
Except they can. Even the U.S. Military doesn't allow beards anymore.

I see no problem with a properly groomed beard. I've had one since high school, and it's never been an obstacle to finding a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
Too lazy to shave = too lazy to work...
There's a massive difference between "growing a beard" and "too lazy to shave."

Growing a beard means you do shave - a properly-kept beard should have well-defined edges, be neatly trimmed, combed/brushed, etc. just like the hair on top of your head. "Not shaving" is just that, and it looks terrible by comparison.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Except they can. Even the U.S. Military

There's a massive difference between "growing a beard" and "too lazy to shave."

Growing a beard means you do shave - a properly-kept beard should have well-defined edges, be neatly trimmed, combed/brushed, etc. just like the hair on top of your head. "Not shaving" is just that, and it looks terrible by comparison.
Very true but lets be fair it does require less work so to speak.
Part of the reason I have a goatee looking facile hair is it looks better threw out the day on me. My facile hair grows very quickly, in fairly thick and I have very dark colored hair. Not a good combo as I will have that shadow look on my face with in a few hours. Now I keep everything trimmed and shave elsewhere but it because of the facile hair were I do keep it that little extra growth does not look as out of place.

I can not grow a full beard as it does grow in patchy.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:08 PM   #15
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

As for shaving it then growing it back this is a bad idea. They may not allow this even if they allow a full beard. Due to the time in between stopping shaving and having a set beard your face is covered with stubble making you look unkempt.

Though as to whether or not you should keep it depends on how the beard looks. If scraggly or patchy then shave. If you have a face that looks good with a beard then keep it, some guys just don't look right with a beard. Also the beard should be shorter than your hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
I'd say it takes more work. If you are clean shaven you just have to scrape all the hair off your face. While with a beard you have to carefully trace the line to keep from shaving off too much or too little. Plus time taken to groom the beard and keep it trimmed.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:43 PM   #16
snberk103
macrumors 603

If you do keep the beard (i've got one, for the record) .... just make sure you comb the lunch-crumbs out before any interviews....
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:46 PM   #17
Sjmarcy
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Sjmarcy
Beards are suggested, IF they completely cover your facial tattoos.
Sjmarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:49 PM   #18
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
Beards are perfectly acceptable, so long as you're applying for a job as a sea captain.

As ships' captains go that is a particulalrly bad choice.
Poor captain Smith…

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post

I'd say it takes more work. If you are clean shaven you just have to scrape all the hair off your face. While with a beard you have to carefully trace the line to keep from shaving off too much or too little. Plus time taken to groom the beard and keep it trimmed.
Exactly. People who say growing a beard is less of a chore have no idea of the amount of work involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmarcy View Post
Beards are suggested, IF they completely cover your facial tattoos.
I laughed out loud.
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:11 PM   #19
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post

Thanks and beard power!

I landed my job as an IT Administrator at the World Health Organization of the United Nations with a beard and long hair and wore leather pants and Slayer and Iron Maiden T-Shirts at work. I also had a T-Shirt saying "No, I will not fix your computer" that was very popular with the staff. Okay, this was the UN Campus in Bonn, Germany, that I'm talking about and I was working there in the years 2004 - 2007. The UN Campus in Bonn is VERY relaxed and not as political as the offices in Geneva or New York. But the environment is still very bureaucratic, which is why I eventually quit in my fourth year there. Bureaucracy kills your creativity and your brain.

Anyway. I'm still in IT today (but with the focus on global satellite communication), and I still have long hair, a beard and wear black jeans and T-Shirts at work. Just like I always did.

Something tells me that it might be the person and what the person can do that counts. But then again, I do not want to work in marketing and sales or at a bank or an insurance company where the business atire is more important than the person in the uniform - ahem - suit.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Oh, I disagree. In fact,

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
Definitely this.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Signal-11
macrumors 65816

It's Yahoo so take it with a grain of salt:

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/ways-your-appearance-affects-your-paycheck-535945.html?tickers=^dji,^gspc,spy,dia
Signal-11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:30 PM   #22
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
I landed my job as an IT Administrator at the World Health Organization of the United Nations with a beard and long hair and wore leather pants and Slayer and Iron Maiden T-Shirts at work. I also had a T-Shirt saying "No, I will not fix your computer" that was very popular with the staff. Okay, this was the UN Campus in Bonn, Germany, that I'm talking about and I was working there in the years 2004 - 2007. The UN Campus in Bonn is VERY relaxed and not as political as the offices in Geneva or New York. But the environment is still very bureaucratic, which is why I eventually quit in my fourth year there. Bureaucracy kills your creativity and your brain.

Anyway. I'm still in IT today (but with the focus on global satellite communication), and I still have long hair, a beard and wear black jeans and T-Shirts at work. Just like I always did.

Something tells me that it might be the person and what the person can do that counts. But then again, I do not want to work in marketing and sales or at a bank or an insurance company where the business atire is more important than the person in the uniform - ahem - suit.
Of course with IT a beard and long hair just increases your perceived computer expertise. I would recommend any guy going for IT to grow a scraggly beard and wear a stained Star Trek shirt (preferably an actual uniform). You'll be given the IT job before even speaking.
velocityg4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:52 AM   #23
iindigo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iindigo
Prejudices against facial hair just plain out suck. While I can understand not wanting to hire cave hermit bill, there's a huge difference between a trimmed beard and a wild one.

I personally hate shaving. My facial hair is very dark, so it's something that needs to be done every day or so. This wouldn't be so bad in itself, but then on top of that I can't shave too closely to or ingrown hairs are caused. The result is that when I shave, it can't be a full shave or I'm gonna have problems.

So even when having to trim, keeping a beard and 'stache is a LOT easier. If people have a problem with it, they can just go screw themselves... it's their own loss.
iindigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:24 PM   #24
Eldiablojoe
macrumors 6502a

Look at the males employed by said prospective employer. If the clear majority have beards, keep it. If they do not, shave it. You want to appear as though you already belong- even if the appearance is simply subconscious.
Eldiablojoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:29 PM   #25
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Shave the beard and leave a mustache.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/busin...-63930997.html

Quote:
A study performed by Quicken and the American Mustache Institute (yes, there is an American Mustache Institute) revealed that mustachioed men make more than their bearded and clean-shaven compatriots.

The report, titled "Saving and Spending Patterns of Mustached Americans," showed mustached men don't just make a hair more than co-workers, but 8.2 percent more than men sporting beards and 4.3 percent more than clean-shaven men.

In addition, men with mustaches are more likely to get hired at job interviews, Reuters reported.
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
beard, beard job interview, interview, job