Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rubberwheels

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I'm using a base 11.6 MBA on my Samsung LN32C530 1080p TV. I use my air as a HTPC when I'm home. I stream videos through my network wirelessly. All my videos are stored on my Windows 7 desktop. When playing videos with VLC, it would constantly stutter, it's starting to bug me. Based on testimonials, people claimed that the Air can play 720p and 1080p videos smoothly. I heard VLC is the culprit here. I would like to use VLC for the friendly user interface. I used Plex before. Complicated app. I would love to fix VLC and use it. Any tweaks for it?

Thanks!

Edit: My video would constantly get all pixelated and the image would fix itself now and then.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm using a base 11.6 MBA on my Samsung LN32C530 1080p TV. I use my air as a HTPC when I'm home. I stream videos through my network wirelessly. All my videos are stored on my Windows 7 desktop. When playing videos with VLC, it would constantly stutter, it's starting to bug me. Based on testimonials, people claimed that the Air can play 720p and 1080p videos smoothly. I heard VLC is the culprit here. I would like to use VLC for the friendly user interface. I used Plex before. Complicated app. I would love to fix VLC and use it. Any tweaks for it?

Thanks!

Edit: My video would constantly get all pixelated and the image would fix itself now and then.

Plex is your friend. Coolbook can/will also help lock the Air at full potential. (Eliminate throttling) VLC is crap compared to Plex under OSX.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
VLC is quite resource intensive and doesn't harness the GPU's power very well.

Perhaps your WiFi is another culprit too. Have you tried to connect your TV directly to the MBA and play a video per VLC? If it doesn't have the same problems, WiFi limits your playback!

iceheat710

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
I have a similar issue I think.

I have a 13" MBA and tried to streaming videos off of my Win7 PC and it always seem to stutter. I've tried using VLC and MPlayer and found that MPlayer seems to be a bit better...

However, when I copy the file onto the MacBook, the stutter goes away so it might have to do with my network, although I never had any issues with a Windows laptop streaming the video over the wireless network.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Weird, I've watched lots of 10gb+ 1080p mkv's on my 11" via VLC and they've been flawless. Not a fan of Plex personally, hate the interface and ime it whacks up the fans* and kills battery faster than VLC.

*On my mbp anyway, not used it on my mba.

Will try Movist though, I'm intrigued.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.