Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095215-iphone_4_side_shot.jpg

Following close on the heels of analyst claims that Apple made last-minute design changes to the second-generation iPad that will see the device not launch until June, Business Insider now reports that FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger is similarly predicting that the fifth-generation iPhone may not make an appearance until September.
Berger writes, "For the iPhone 5, we continue to hear that a July launch is unlikely, with various casing suppliers and touch suppliers still ramping up, with some chip vendors not having yet received firm iPhone 5 orders, and with other sockets like the image sensor (most likely going to Omnivision exclusively, but with some potential for Sony to split that socket) still in flux. Given these factors, we think a September launch is more likely, off from Apple's traditional iPhone launch schedule, but giving the firm more time to enhance its next-generation instant communications on the phone."
Apple has released new iPhone models nearly like clockwork each year in June or July since the device's debut in 2007. Consequently, a September launch for the next-generation model would be a significant deviation from that trend, which Apple executives have acknowledged is part of an annual cycle of product releases.

One thing that is different during this year's cycle is mid-year product introductions, with the iPhone 4 making its way to Verizon earlier this month, and potentially offering a way for Apple to milk more life out of the device. But at least for the time being, that effect would only apply in the United States, as the CDMA device has not yet launched in other markets and many countries do not even offer significant CDMA-based networks on which the device could run. In a similar vein, Apple has said that it will be releasing the white iPhone 4 sometime this "spring", which could provide another boost to the line, although Apple has of course already delayed the device's launch several times and some observers are skeptical that it will ever see a release.

Still, we tend to take most research analyst claims with a grain of salt, as they tend to be wrong more often than right. But they do occasionally offer up accurate information from Apple's supply chain, and thus it bears watching to see if more independent claims of this nature begin to surface.

Article Link: No Fifth-Generation iPhone Launch Until September?

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Absolute crap

The iPad and iPhone will be released on schedule
iPad-April
iPhone-June

Looking forward to purchasing both within those time frames... let's keep our fingers crossed that the "NORMAL" schedule is on track.

kauthor

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
I'll be very ANGRY if I don't get the iPhone 5 in June, because I am trying to pass Business Calculus in order to get the iPhone 5.

jlmitnick

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
Aww, I like the regular releases. So far I've turned a profit each time the new one comes out (so long as AT&T keeps letting me get the "new" price after a year like they've done each time thus far).

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The later the iPhone 5 comes out, the happier I'll be. I'm still happy with my 3GS, and I want to delay upgrading as late as possible. I'll be spending a lot of money on a refreshed MBP soon anyway.

Having said that, I still think it's more likely iPhone 5 will launch on time in June/July than not.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Non-sense.

If iphone releases in September, then what's next?

Apple will delay ipod touch and ipod until November?

They have to because ipod touch does compete with iphone. They are very similar.

No. Apple will stick with their current schedule.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I want my iPhone 5 asap.:mad:

Why get angry? What's the point? Do you think you're entitled to some magical device that for all intents and purposes doesn't exist at all?

Personally, I wish Apple would move to a 16-18 month release schedule on their iPods/iPads/iPhones.

Yes I planned to upgrade in June/July from my aging 3G (and get my wife her first iPhone) but neither of us are over the top desparate for the new phone that we can't wait a little longer for a release. It's a phone, it's not like it's peace on earth.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
I really could care less. The iPhone 4 was a major upgrade in my opinion. Whatever Apple does with iPhone 5, it doesn't matter to me because I won't be getting it. I'm more than happy with my iPhone 4 and will wait until next year to decide if I want to switch to Verizon anyways.

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Not really going to be happy about this if it becomes true. My 3GS is starting to act up occasionally and I don't want to run into a situation where it dies before the pushed back release. My extended AppleCare will only run through June so i'll be dead in the water if it dies between then and the release. I really like the every-June schedule. I know when the next phone's coming out, as opposed (for example), Android phones, which are much harder to plan for around contract expirations/renewals. That's why I skipped the iPhone 4, because I knew when my 2 years hit on my 3GS, I could get the 5th generation.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it means getting lte sure. Doubtful though.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Why get angry? What's the point? Do you think you're entitled to some magical device that for all intents and purposes doesn't exist at all?

Personally, I wish Apple would move to a 16-18 month release schedule on their iPods/iPads/iPhones.

Yes I planned to upgrade in June/July from my aging 3G (and get my wife her first iPhone) but neither of us are over the top desparate for the new phone that we can't wait a little longer for a release. It's a phone, it's not like it's peace on earth.
I'm still on a dumb phone from 5 years ago on Verizon. I've waited for the iPhone to come to Verizon and now I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 instead of buying a half-year old phone. My phone purchases are few and far between.

Maybe for those who are fortunate enough to already have a smart phone this is 'good' news although realistically you could just ignore the release while everyone else enjoys it.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Can't care less about iDevices but to me this news makes perfect sense since Apple will need to compete with incoming Tegra 3 (quad core) devices from September onwards...

With September (or there about) release they have more time to spice up the iP5 as well as to try and shoot down Tegra 3 phones / tablets.

Good luck to them :p

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota

GOD no! I wish Apple moved to a 6 month release schedule

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
The later the iPhone 5 comes out, the happier I'll be. I'm still happy with my 3GS, and I want to delay upgrading as late as possible. I'll be spending a lot of money on a refreshed MBP soon anyway.

Having said that, I still think it's more likely iPhone 5 will launch on time in June/July than not.

Unless you are psychologically harmed by not having the latest version, isn't it better for upgrades to come sooner rather than later, all else being equal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.