Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Losing WI-FI Connection waking out of "sleep mode"

Since my 4.2.1 jailbreak (iPhone 4 - 1.59) when I wake up the phone from sleep mode WI-FI doesn't connect to my router 99% of the time. The phone sees the router but no WI-FI. Rebooting fixes it and turning WI-FI off than back on sometimes does it.
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:24 AM   #2
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a

Which router and router fw?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Well, I just went out to a local McD's to test it on their Wi-Fi and had the same problem, so I doubt it's my router. It seems it has to be "sleeping" for like 15 minutes or so before it loses the connection.

Aside from that I've never had a problem with any iPhone I have ever owned including this one and my laptop and Color Nook all connect and stay connected.

I do think it's possible it MAY be a phone issue because all of a sudden when i go into Cydia and try to manage packages Cydia just shuts down. Seems like an erase and "re-JB" may be in the works.

That being said, it's a Verizon Actiontec router (FIOS). I do have another router I can swap it with but I highly doubt it's a router issue.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried to reset your Network Settings and also reset the Router back to default settings and redo the Router setup? This has fixed a few weird iPhone/iPad connection issues for me previously (Dlink DIR-655)

A quick google gave a few pointers but nothing that really matches your description

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...ter-12557.html
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:59 PM   #5
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAmI View Post
Have you tried to reset your Network Settings and also reset the Router back to default settings and redo the Router setup? This has fixed a few weird iPhone/iPad connection issues for me previously (Dlink DIR-655)

A quick google gave a few pointers but nothing that really matches your description

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...ter-12557.html
How could it be the router if the same thing happens in other WI-FI locations away from my router ?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:26 PM   #6
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a

To me, every path is worth exploring before diving in to a restore =)

To start with, reset the Network Settings
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:25 PM   #7
rs4
macrumors newbie

You know what, I just started to have this problem today. A few people I've spoken too mentioned it as well.

Only thing we have in common is that we're running untethered 4.2.1 So I'm trying to figure out what's causing the problem on my end with my wifi signal dropping or being unable to connect at times.
rs4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:44 AM   #8
froggiemlm
macrumors member

My wife and i are both having the same issue even after a network reset. and when it does connect its so frikken slow.

Netgear N600
froggiemlm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Maccleduff
macrumors regular

I had this problem too (i4 - 4.2.1 GP untethered), the wifi would just turn itself off, when i went into sbsettings wifi would be off, but wifi signal bar would still show in status bar.

rebooted iphone multiple times, seems to have gone away for now but not totally sure what the cause is.
Maccleduff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:02 AM   #10
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

I also have this problem and running 4.2.1 untethered. I reset network settings on my ip4, reset router and upgraded my routers firmware. Then I restored unjailbroken and everything is fine. BUT I don't see it as a major problem so I re-jailbroke and I'm still happy I got an untethered jb
ahfu25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:52 PM   #11
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

In my case the problem was Cydia was missing my "user added" repos after the 4.2.1 upgrade/JB. This reeked all kinds of havoc with Cydia (and wi-fi). Pkgbackup didn't restore them. Once I re-added all my repos everything is working perfectly.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:28 AM   #12
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB07-NJ View Post
In my case the problem was Cydia was missing my "user added" repos after the 4.2.1 upgrade/JB. This reeked all kinds of havoc with Cydia (and wi-fi). Pkgbackup didn't restore them. Once I re-added all my repos everything is working perfectly.
How bizarre that this would affect wifi

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks