Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
FrankySavvy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Send a message via AIM to FrankySavvy
Current 2010 i7 Macbook Pro Owner - Should I Upgrade?

I know there are many threads going around like this, and I know it is just speculating but I have a current April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHZ 4GB Ram Machine that I use for Graphic Design/Personal Use.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors, the Solid State hard drive and possible ram upgrade?

Would I really notice a speed difference?

I could probably get away with selling my current MBP for $1800 tops and to buy a new one for 2199+Tax (Student Discount). Would I really notice any difference using the Adobe CS5 Master Suite and Personal Use?

Thanks Again.
__________________
27" 2011 iMac 3.4GHZ Quad Core i7
15" Macbook Pro 2.66GHZ Core i7
32GB WI-FI Black iPad Air
32 GB White iPhone 5S
FrankySavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:14 AM   #2
xdbuix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
not that much of a difference honestly, but if you are willign to pay then go for it. I dont think its worthwhile especially since you coming from a 2010 i7. If you had a 2010 13", that might be more worthwhile.
xdbuix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:19 AM   #3
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
If you can afford it, why not?
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:37 AM   #4
GeekGuys
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Why are you asking?

I have a Ferrari that is faster and more powerful than I could possibly require. There is a newer, faster Ferrari coming out soon (there always is...) so should I upgrade?

WHY?!??!!?

Sorry for being a little flippant but the question should be this. Do I NEED to upgrade?

Is the 6 month old laptop that you already use and bought as fit for purpose (I assume) still do what you want it to? If so, then why spend money on an upgrade? If you buy the latest version just to be up with the latest version then enjoy your products, enjoy the high depreciation and loss of money from your bank account and don't bother asking.

I don't mean to be rude but I really don't understand what you expect this forum to tell you other than it will be faster and newer and you will waste your money upgrading so soon.

Now, back to that Ferrari......
GeekGuys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:45 AM   #5
ryanrich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Depends completely on your personal preference and usage scenario. I have the same laptop, with some upgrades, and there's no way I'll be upgrading now because it's a complete waste of money to me seeing as mine is more than fast enough for what I use it for, and unless they add a new wondrous technology that I absolutely must have there's no point...
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" - Core i7, 8GB RAM
Power Mac G4 - Mystic
iPhone 5 - 16GB
iPad 2 WiFi + 3G - 32GB
ryanrich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:56 AM   #6
mark28
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Better wait for next year. Ivy Bridge MBP will be Quad cores. The 500m series are nothing more but rebranded 400m series which are again 300m series GPU, so yeah .... better wait next year for a real upgrade in performance

If you still got a desktop PC, maybe think about a Mac Pro or an iMac. I'm picking one of those up depending what the specs are.
mark28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Tamasi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Get an optibay SSD for your current MBP instead
Tamasi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:18 AM   #8
legreve
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark28 View Post
Better wait for next year. Ivy Bridge MBP will be Quad cores. The 500m series are nothing more but rebranded 400m series which are again 300m series GPU, so yeah .... better wait next year for a real upgrade in performance

If you still got a desktop PC, maybe think about a Mac Pro or an iMac. I'm picking one of those up depending what the specs are.
Thanks for the tip I'll definately wait with buying that mbp now.
legreve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
wesen3000
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
As another poster said, get an SSD. It will make more difference regarding to speed than switching the actual macbook (seriously). And you will able to swap that SSD into the next computer you get (assuming it still has SATA).
wesen3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:53 AM   #10
theEconomist
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuys View Post
I have a Ferrari that is faster and more powerful than I could possibly require. There is a newer, faster Ferrari coming out soon (there always is...) so should I upgrade?

WHY?!??!!?

Sorry for being a little flippant but the question should be this. Do I NEED to upgrade?

Is the 6 month old laptop that you already use and bought as fit for purpose (I assume) still do what you want it to? If so, then why spend money on an upgrade? If you buy the latest version just to be up with the latest version then enjoy your products, enjoy the high depreciation and loss of money from your bank account and don't bother asking.

I don't mean to be rude but I really don't understand what you expect this forum to tell you other than it will be faster and newer and you will waste your money upgrading so soon.

Now, back to that Ferrari......
This would be my viewpoint.
__________________
iPad Air | iPhone 5S | MBP, i7, Dual SSDs | ATV 3
theEconomist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:44 AM   #11
BAC5.2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
When the Ivy Bridge comes out, I might sell my 2010 i7 and get one. It'd be nice to have the ability to have more RAM.

I have 8GB now, and when I'm working full-tilt I'll have 100mb of free-ram. 16GB would definitely alleviate that.

I'm HALF considering replacing the Optibay with an SSD, but I'm not entirely sure about how to go about setting it up and what I'd put on the SSD vs. the HDD. It would have been an option had I started from "scratch", but I didn't and I frequently use the Optical drive.
BAC5.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:31 AM   #12
bdodds1985
macrumors 6502a
 
bdodds1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tartarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamasi View Post
Get an optibay SSD for your current MBP instead
You don't NEED it, but if you got the dough, why not? Life is too short to not have the new macbook
and if you knew there are many threads just like this why start a new one?
maybe it's just me but I wouldn't buy an older MBP for $1800 or even $1500 when I could just continue saving and get a nice new one. good luck selling it.
__________________

| Mac Mini | MBP |
bdodds1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Lisa89
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If you find your computer too slow, you can always put some extra RAM and an SSD in it. If not, your MBP is good enough.
Do you want a really powerful device? Buy a pro for the office... Then use the laptop for personal use and on-the-road assignments.
Lisa89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #14
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
No, not really.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15
nate.the.great
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankySavvy View Post
I know there are many threads going around like this, and I know it is just speculating but I have a current April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHZ 4GB Ram Machine that I use for Graphic Design/Personal Use.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors, the Solid State hard drive and possible ram upgrade?

Would I really notice a speed difference?

I could probably get away with selling my current MBP for $1800 tops and to buy a new one for 2199+Tax (Student Discount). Would I really notice any difference using the Adobe CS5 Master Suite and Personal Use?

Thanks Again.
you'll get nowhere near $1,800 for your macbook pro. you can get a NEW 2011 quad core i7 2.3, 750gb hd, hi-res matte screen for $1,600.
nate.the.great is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:28 PM   #16
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816
 
JamesGorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.the.great View Post
you'll get nowhere near $1,800 for your macbook pro. you can get a NEW 2011 quad core i7 2.3, 750gb hd, hi-res matte screen for $1,600.
There are people who will pay that. But tell me where you can get this macbook pro you speak of? I haven't seen deal like this anywhere near where Im from.
JamesGorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:33 PM   #17
nate.the.great
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGorman View Post
There are people who will pay that. But tell me where you can get this macbook pro you speak of? I haven't seen deal like this anywhere near where Im from.
http://slickdeals.net/f/3818312-Micr...z-Core-i7-1599
nate.the.great is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankySavvy View Post
I know there are many threads going around like this, and I know it is just speculating but I have a current April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHZ 4GB Ram Machine that I use for Graphic Design/Personal Use.
I own this machine, except I have 8GB of RAM in mine and the hi-res glossy display. I use it for video encoding and it is still very fast for a laptop. Definitely hold off on buying a new laptop until next generation, as the current MBPs today are just a speed bump of the same processors from the previous 2011 gen. Get a RAM upgrade (it helps) and think about buying the next gen once it's announced.
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #19
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Do it.

Since it sounds like you've got extra time on your hands & money in your pocket, it will be a good experience.

Likely result?

You'll learn first hand that the difference in speed is far less than anticipated.

The overall experience will be nearly the same as your present Mac, and you'll think twice before repeating this same choice next time.

Me? I learned the same way
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:44 AM   #20
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Do it.
Since it sounds like you've got extra time on your hands & money in your pocket, it will be a good experience.
Likely result?
You'll learn first hand that the difference in speed is far less than anticipated.
The overall experience will be nearly the same as your present Mac, and you'll think twice before repeating this same choice next time.
Me? I learned the same way
I have to admit, the current gen MBP is nearly twice as fast in pure computation, however system tasks and application launching, etc will hardly feel different. If anything the OP should get an SSD + RAM upgrade, or at least a RAM upgrade until the next update comes.
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 01:40 AM   #21
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816
 
JamesGorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.the.great View Post
Wont ship to canada so would not apply to me anyway.
JamesGorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 01:46 AM   #22
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesen3000 View Post
As another poster said, get an SSD. It will make more difference regarding to speed than switching the actual macbook (seriously). And you will able to swap that SSD into the next computer you get (assuming it still has SATA).
For the OP's purposes an SSD would only benefit him significantly if he's lacking enough ram to hold operations there. If he's working on any bigger projects, I'm not sure how he gets away with 4GB of ram. That amount of ram felt strained years ago, but 32 bit application limits really put you up against a wall at the time.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
macbook pro upgrade 2011

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro - give up and get previous gen i7? schnb MacBook Pro 40 Apr 3, 2011 12:09 AM
Dual HD Monitors on MacBook Pro 15" - 2010 mbmobile MacBook Pro 8 Mar 10, 2011 02:11 PM
Will a SATA II HDD Work In My 2010 13" MacBook Pro? mdhansen5 MacBook Pro 5 Mar 8, 2011 02:17 PM
A Question for ALL MacBook Pro Owners NickZac MacBook Pro 41 Dec 19, 2010 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC