Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know there are many threads going around like this, and I know it is just speculating but I have a current April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHZ 4GB Ram Machine that I use for Graphic Design/Personal Use.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors, the Solid State hard drive and possible ram upgrade?

Would I really notice a speed difference?

I could probably get away with selling my current MBP for $1800 tops and to buy a new one for 2199+Tax (Student Discount). Would I really notice any difference using the Adobe CS5 Master Suite and Personal Use?

Thanks Again.

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
not that much of a difference honestly, but if you are willign to pay then go for it. I dont think its worthwhile especially since you coming from a 2010 i7. If you had a 2010 13", that might be more worthwhile.

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Why are you asking?

I have a Ferrari that is faster and more powerful than I could possibly require. There is a newer, faster Ferrari coming out soon (there always is...) so should I upgrade?

WHY?!??!!?:confused:

Sorry for being a little flippant but the question should be this. Do I NEED to upgrade?

Is the 6 month old laptop that you already use and bought as fit for purpose (I assume) still do what you want it to? If so, then why spend money on an upgrade? If you buy the latest version just to be up with the latest version then enjoy your products, enjoy the high depreciation and loss of money from your bank account and don't bother asking.

I don't mean to be rude but I really don't understand what you expect this forum to tell you other than it will be faster and newer and you will waste your money upgrading so soon.

Now, back to that Ferrari......:eek:

ryanrich

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Depends completely on your personal preference and usage scenario. I have the same laptop, with some upgrades, and there's no way I'll be upgrading now because it's a complete waste of money to me seeing as mine is more than fast enough for what I use it for, and unless they add a new wondrous technology that I absolutely must have there's no point...

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Better wait for next year. Ivy Bridge MBP will be Quad cores. The 500m series are nothing more but rebranded 400m series which are again 300m series GPU, so yeah .... better wait next year for a real upgrade in performance :)

If you still got a desktop PC, maybe think about a Mac Pro or an iMac. I'm picking one of those up depending what the specs are.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Better wait for next year. Ivy Bridge MBP will be Quad cores. The 500m series are nothing more but rebranded 400m series which are again 300m series GPU, so yeah .... better wait next year for a real upgrade in performance :)

If you still got a desktop PC, maybe think about a Mac Pro or an iMac. I'm picking one of those up depending what the specs are.

Thanks for the tip :) I'll definately wait with buying that mbp now.

wesen3000

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
As another poster said, get an SSD. It will make more difference regarding to speed than switching the actual macbook (seriously). And you will able to swap that SSD into the next computer you get (assuming it still has SATA).

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I have a Ferrari that is faster and more powerful than I could possibly require. There is a newer, faster Ferrari coming out soon (there always is...) so should I upgrade?

WHY?!??!!?:confused:

Sorry for being a little flippant but the question should be this. Do I NEED to upgrade?

Is the 6 month old laptop that you already use and bought as fit for purpose (I assume) still do what you want it to? If so, then why spend money on an upgrade? If you buy the latest version just to be up with the latest version then enjoy your products, enjoy the high depreciation and loss of money from your bank account and don't bother asking.

I don't mean to be rude but I really don't understand what you expect this forum to tell you other than it will be faster and newer and you will waste your money upgrading so soon.

Now, back to that Ferrari......:eek:

This would be my viewpoint.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
When the Ivy Bridge comes out, I might sell my 2010 i7 and get one. It'd be nice to have the ability to have more RAM.

I have 8GB now, and when I'm working full-tilt I'll have 100mb of free-ram. 16GB would definitely alleviate that.

I'm HALF considering replacing the Optibay with an SSD, but I'm not entirely sure about how to go about setting it up and what I'd put on the SSD vs. the HDD. It would have been an option had I started from "scratch", but I didn't and I frequently use the Optical drive.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Get an optibay SSD for your current MBP instead

You don't NEED it, but if you got the dough, why not? Life is too short to not have the new macbook;)
and if you knew there are many threads just like this why start a new one?
maybe it's just me but I wouldn't buy an older MBP for $1800 or even $1500 when I could just continue saving and get a nice new one. good luck selling it.

Lisa89

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
If you find your computer too slow, you can always put some extra RAM and an SSD in it. If not, your MBP is good enough. :)
Do you want a really powerful device? Buy a pro for the office... Then use the laptop for personal use and on-the-road assignments.

nate.the.great

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
I know there are many threads going around like this, and I know it is just speculating but I have a current April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHZ 4GB Ram Machine that I use for Graphic Design/Personal Use.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors, the Solid State hard drive and possible ram upgrade?

Would I really notice a speed difference?

I could probably get away with selling my current MBP for $1800 tops and to buy a new one for 2199+Tax (Student Discount). Would I really notice any difference using the Adobe CS5 Master Suite and Personal Use?

Thanks Again.

you'll get nowhere near $1,800 for your macbook pro. you can get a NEW 2011 quad core i7 2.3, 750gb hd, hi-res matte screen for $1,600.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
you'll get nowhere near $1,800 for your macbook pro. you can get a NEW 2011 quad core i7 2.3, 750gb hd, hi-res matte screen for $1,600.

There are people who will pay that. But tell me where you can get this macbook pro you speak of? I haven't seen deal like this anywhere near where Im from.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

I own this machine, except I have 8GB of RAM in mine and the hi-res glossy display. I use it for video encoding and it is still very fast for a laptop. Definitely hold off on buying a new laptop until next generation, as the current MBPs today are just a speed bump of the same processors from the previous 2011 gen. Get a RAM upgrade (it helps) and think about buying the next gen once it's announced.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Do it.

Since it sounds like you've got extra time on your hands & money in your pocket, it will be a good experience.

Likely result?

You'll learn first hand that the difference in speed is far less than anticipated.

The overall experience will be nearly the same as your present Mac, and you'll think twice before repeating this same choice next time.

Me? I learned the same way :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Do it.
Since it sounds like you've got extra time on your hands & money in your pocket, it will be a good experience.
Likely result?
You'll learn first hand that the difference in speed is far less than anticipated.
The overall experience will be nearly the same as your present Mac, and you'll think twice before repeating this same choice next time.
Me? I learned the same way :)

I have to admit, the current gen MBP is nearly twice as fast in pure computation, however system tasks and application launching, etc will hardly feel different. If anything the OP should get an SSD + RAM upgrade, or at least a RAM upgrade until the next update comes.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
As another poster said, get an SSD. It will make more difference regarding to speed than switching the actual macbook (seriously). And you will able to swap that SSD into the next computer you get (assuming it still has SATA).

For the OP's purposes an SSD would only benefit him significantly if he's lacking enough ram to hold operations there. If he's working on any bigger projects, I'm not sure how he gets away with 4GB of ram. That amount of ram felt strained years ago, but 32 bit application limits really put you up against a wall at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.