Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewstephenso

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Hi,

I've finished fitting my new SSD into the DVD drive area using an MCE OptiBay.

I maintained my existing 500GB internal drive and can boot from that no problem.

I have formatted the SSD, no problem.

I am now attempting to install Snow Leopard onto the SSD.
Booted into OS X I insert the OS X DVD into the MCE external drive caddy which includes the previously internal DVD drive.

I'm able to start the OS X install, I have to 'show more disks' but can select the SSD.

So the install copies about 5GB of "OS X Install Data" and about 30% of the way through the process the macbook pro reboots, accesses the DVD for a few seconds and then just sits there on the grey Apple logo screen.

Has anyone got any idea how to get around this?

My only thought is related to the fact that due to not having access to my usual restore DVD I'm having to use an "Upgrade DVD", hence my attempt to initiate the install from within the booted OS.

I need to do a clean install.

Many thanks in advance :)

Andy

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It's not an upgrade DVD, it's a full install of Snow Leopard, so you can boot from the disk and install it straight to the SSD. I have heard of people having more problems when putting the SSD in the optibay than the other way around. I'd try switching them and do a clean install.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
It's not an upgrade DVD, it's a full install of Snow Leopard, so you can boot from the disk and install it straight to the SSD. I have heard of people having more problems when putting the SSD in the optibay than the other way around. I'd try switching them and do a clean install.

I read that as well, but my case was different. I ended up having NO ISSUES while having the SSD on the OptiBay & leaving the 5400rpm HD on the normal spot. While having the SSD on the normal HD spot I was getting stalls, stutters, beachballs, etc.

Have you tried making an image of the SL on to a USB flash drive & make it bootable? Maybe that helps too...

andrewstephenso

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Thanks guys.

I've left the standard HDD in it's usual place as that has the shock detection, whereas the opti-bay has no such thing and the SSD doesn't need that kind of protection anyway.

I've gone and bought a full install of SL and.. it begins to boot from the DVD and then the DVD drive stops spinning.

I've got a Sony external drive which I've used when rebuilding last years MBA, fingers crossed that will boot. Will let you know :)

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
I would try taking the HDD out completely, putting the SSD in the HDD area, putting the original Optical drive back in, and installing as though it were the original hard drive.

Either that, or boot from the HDD, and get your hands on a USB thumb stick. Image the install DVD and restore to the USB stick. Try installing from there. (Note that you will need a 4 GB drive minimum; I use an 8GB.)EDIT: 8 GB minimum, sorry.

Best of luck!

andrewstephenso

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
hmm, if I had any hair I'd probably be pulling it out by now.

can someone confirm to me whether it's even possible to install snow leopard on a second drive?

The install gets as far as copying a load of data to the SSD drive, it then advises me that installation will continue following a reboot.. it then reboots and nothing happens :/

I can't believe it's that difficult?

If I were to remove the HDD, put the SSD in it's place, do the OS install, put the HDD back in as the primary drive and shift the SSD to the optical drive bay?

It's so messy, so much easier writting iPhone apps!

andrewstephenso

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
A quick update in case other people find this useful.

What I had to do in the end..

Original HDD and DVD drive in their original locations.

Do a FULL backup

Boot from the restore DVD which came with your computer
Erase the OS X partition and perform a clean install of OS X.

Power off.

Remove DVD drive, install SSD drive into that slot using the opti-bay adapter.
Install the extra apps from the second DVD.
Do all the Apple updates.
Reboot when each time you are asked until you have no more updates available.

Power on laptop and use the Disk Utility to do a restore from the HDD to the SSD.
Rename the SSD as it'll now have the same name as the HDD - just to avoid confusion!

Launch System Preferences and select the SSD as your Startup Disk.

Doing this has enabled me to get OS X booting from my new SSD.

I'm inclined to maintain the original installation of OS X on my HDD (now called Data) as I should be able to boot from that in case of emergency.
Other things I may do.. create an image of the HDD for rapid restore and store the resulting image on the HDD.
I've created an admin account and now trying to create a new user with it's home folder on the HDD.

Hope this helps somebody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.