Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I went in to the apple store to pick up my MBP from repair (bad hinges). They replaced the display assembly (again.. :mad:). I also went in to have my iPhone 3GS replaced under warranty. The screen would flash white and it would show "No SIM" if I touched the corner of the screen. I saw my friend who works as a retail person at the Apple store. He checked me in to the genius bar. He followed me to the genius. He told the genius what I did with a 2010 MacBook that had coffee spilled on it . The genius replaced my iPhone, no questions asked. I then asked the genius if he had a spare SIM ejector tool. He said he might have one for me, winked, and then went through the door near the genius bar. About 5 minutes later, he comes out of the door by the genius bar with another employee. He told me that the other employee would be giving me his own personal SIM ejector tool. I said "are you sure you want to do that?" He said "Yeah! I think you deserve it after what you did to that MacBook (the MacBook that I was holding in my hand)." The genius also gave me a "black stick/spudger tool" saying that I deserve it. Go Apple!

Attachments

• DSCN1118.JPG
    DSCN1118.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Cool Apple store. I have had many similar experiences at my Apple store in Lancaster, PA...good bunch of guys there.
Yeah, all the staff inside my local (Cherry Creek Mall, Denver, CO) Apple store are always nice!
Yeah ... if you be nice to them ... often getting little bonuses is common. :cool:

Yeah. I love the Apple store staff! Except that I believe that the "Geniuses" are mislabeled...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
What does the black stick / spudger thing do?

I would've asked for Apple stickers instead :D Haha. I dont think I've ever used the SIM ejector tool. I prefer ripping it out of my phone bear hands. Seriously though, I always just go with the paperclip. lol

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
What does the black stick / spudger thing do?

I would've asked for Apple stickers instead :D Haha. I dont think I've ever used the SIM ejector tool. I prefer ripping it out of my phone bear hands. Seriously though, I always just go with the paperclip. lol

The black stick helps with unplugging cables (the ones that lay down flat like battery connector, HDD connector, etc...) that are attached to a logic board of a MacBook/Pro/Air. They are also good for prying things apart (like what is needed when taking an iPod Touch apart). I have more than enough Apple stickers. I like having a SIM ejector tool, because... Well, because I want it... :p

fortunecookie

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2010
Wow what a nice experience on your part. Unfortunately we don't have the same level of apple support here in my country.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Another happy story from the apple store. Good score on that ejector tool too!

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Wouldn't it be nice if all retail stores followed in Apple's footsteps? Imagine getting that kind of service at the grocery store!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Wow what a nice experience on your part. Unfortunately we don't have the same level of apple support here in my country.
Thank you. My friend who works at the Apple store said that he'd seen me on macrumors before when I signed into my AlphaDogg account on one of the MacBook Pros that they had there. It's a shame that they don't have such good support in all Apple stores...

Another happy story from the apple store. Good score on that ejector tool too!
I was quite happy.
Wouldn't it be nice if all retail stores followed in Apple's footsteps? Imagine getting that kind of service at the grocery store!

Yeah. Like a free box of eggs as compensation for one egg being rotten or something like that. :D

Last edited:

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I use my earrings to eject the sim card. Also handy for stuck CD drives (the cup holder ones, not slot-loading).

But it's always nice to get Apple freebies :).

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I use my earrings to eject the sim card. Also handy for stuck CD drives (the cup holder ones, not slot-loading).

But it's always nice to get Apple freebies :).

I love freebies of any sort, not just apple freebies! ;)

Read: I am a cheap Jew. :p

Yes, my religion is Judaism... lol

Last edited:

vintageapple

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
thats nice man. I dont have much fun when I go to the genius bar, from my experience they stuck up and just assume the customer knows nothing.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
thats nice man. I dont have much fun when I go to the genius bar, from my experience they stuck up and just assume the customer knows nothing.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I never noticed this response. You have to prove to them that you know things about your Mac by explaining that you have troubleshooted the issue as much as you can. Like resetting the PRAM, SMC, etc... I am so well known at my local Apple store for being able to do such things, that each time I'm there, they ask me if I have tampered with the device.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I'm pretty computer literate and know what I am doing but whenever I have been to the Apple Store we have had to go through the usual checking the basics even though I have already done it. However, I've always found the staff do it in such a way that I don't mind. Not sure what it is - perhaps just that they treat you nicely and listen to what you say patiently.

Besides, they have to do it. If they take your word and it turns out that you were wrong it could cost you and them time and/or money. It doesn't hurt to be doubly sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.