Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
give it a freakin rest, the refresh JUST happened this morning. Do we really need to start in on what is gonna happen for the next upgrade?:mad:

solarein

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
give it a freakin rest, the refresh JUST happened this morning. Do we really need to start in on what is gonna happen for the next upgrade?:mad:

Supposedly, the next update is a complete redesign, rather than just a internal refresh like the past two updates.

WHM

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South
Supposedly, the next update is a complete redesign, rather than just a internal refresh like the past two updates.

The next one most likely will be a redesign... if you want/need a new laptop... buy this one or wait... if you alway want to wait for the newest and best you will wait you life away... buy one now and sell next year...

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Will it be 2012? I am thinking it will be late 2011 like October.

They got two choices.

1. Go for liquid metal. Tim cook did say they were buying companies that make liquid metal to develop. Share holders asked him why, but he declined to comment.

It's obvious that apple is trying to use liquid metal instead of aluminum on their products in the future. The product that needs complete redesign is a MBP.

2. or stay with aluminum and go thinner like MBA.

I would expect liquid metal for lighter weight, thinner body and durability.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

I read that as well. Perhaps we'll actually see the elimination of the ODD on the 13" and a dedicated GPU in the 13" MBP.

I'm sure we will see thin and light as the main design drivers which will annoy the spec fanatics (myself included).

Cheers,

dwhynman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

supposedly this was going to be a redesign. you never know until it happens. I am happy with what we have except for the prices

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
- MBP Air style tapering, maybe darker liquid metal enclosure
- 16GB of Ram
- Quad-core standard (Octo-core optional)
- SSD standard
- No optical drive
etc

forsakengod23

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2011
How can you start saying ,' yeah i heard its gonna be a complete redesign' when basically everything we speculated about has been false ?!(for the just updated line up)

The rumors were more about everyone's fantasy than actual rumors that would confirm themselves in time.

Here is the list

-No more odd
-Ssd
-Discrete graphics on 13 inch model
-Liquid metal
-Redesign
-MBA influence
-and the list goes on and on...

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Do we really need to start in on what is gonna happen for the next upgrade?

ABSOLUTELY... this was a _minor_ event and refresh today. Nothing to it.

A 2012 MacBook Pro is THE ONE TO HAVE, and I quote:

"Next year is the year when Apple will introduce an all new design for the MacBook Pro product family, which is already under development at Quanta in Taiwan," the report says, reminding readers that Apple likes to overhaul the industrial design of its most popular Macs every 2 to 3 years."

My Money says it will be the hot new wedge shaped design just like the new MBA's. The best design yet!

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...is_winter_redesigned_macbook_pro_in_2012.html

You _KNOW_ you want one :)

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I'm saving my money for the "ALL NEW" MBP next year, just like I waited for the unibody last time I upgraded. My C2D is far from top of the line, but it does everything I need, and will continue to do so for another year. :)

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm saving my money for the "ALL NEW" MBP next year, just like I waited for the unibody last time I upgraded. My C2D is far from top of the line, but it does everything I need, and will continue to do so for another year. :)

Precisely! That's exactly my point.

I'd keep my 2010 for two more years, but I cannot stand the sharp edges on the wrist rest and the "sharp points" at the corners of the relief, that allows one to open the computer.

Then to add to the allure of an all new chassis, is the fact that maybe, just maybe Apple will finally design a better cooling system.

I can easily wait a year to see what the all new MBP is like. I've been around long enough to have a good feeling about the upcoming model.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Well , just think , at least you won`t have to wonder if your going to have to buy Apple Care or not !!

If 12/21/2012 is the end , it will be a hell of a show !! :eek:

Back to reality .

I was going to buy a new MBP , but after see the specs and info , I too am going to hold off until the next batch.

Or at the very least , sit back and see what the track record will be like for this re-fresh.

I`m running the latest Mac Mini to my Sony TV , so I`ll be ok for awhile , but I do want a notebook.

I know , it`s not the right thread , but why is it that when I plug in more than one PNY USB Drive my Mini goes nuts !!!

I have a 16 gig plugged in for storage of files and other junk and alone every thing is fine.

But when I plug in a 4 Gig PNY USB drive , I get the " Bar of Death" and I have to log in and the screen flashes and basically goes nuts until I do this:

Open System Preferences / change Resolution / Power-down and reset the Pram.

Then it`s back to normal , weird but true.

Still a Mac fan , or nuts like my Mini , good pair !!! :D LOL

Gary 

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
How about no. if you dont like it get out brah

- MBP Air style tapering, maybe darker liquid metal enclosure
- 16GB of Ram
- Quad-core standard (Octo-core optional)
- SSD standard
- No optical drive
etc

X2. maybe even a pro air line merge?

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Have you been living under a rock? The new pro already came out so this thread is discussing the next stage.

Dude, I own the new MBP. I'm saying it's silly because it's very "pie in the sky" thinking. Trying to predict what will happen in a year with the MBP is just like trying to predict what will happen with the iPad 3 (the timing is VERY similar, maybe off by a week).

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Dude, I own the new MBP. I'm saying it's silly because it's very "pie in the sky" thinking. Trying to predict what will happen in a year with the MBP is just like trying to predict what will happen with the iPad 3 (the timing is VERY similar, maybe off by a week).

Ahhh so you have the new mbp, I see now why you don't want to hear about refreshes. Its okay brah I understand.

samk8000

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
toronto, ontario
Well, it doesn't look like Steve Jobs will make it to the next refresh, and we all know what happened to all the apple products that needed a refresh last time steve jobs left apple. Maybe the next release will be in 2015. Please live, Steve Jobs.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Well, it doesn't look like Steve Jobs will make it to the next refresh, and we all know what happened to all the apple products that needed a refresh last time steve jobs left apple. Maybe the next release will be in 2015. Please live, Steve Jobs.

We don't know that. Try not to be so cynical.

With Johnny Ive on board I'm sure we wont be disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.