Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I know chat rooms have quite a seedy reputation in the eyes of many people, but I think they can be really useful places to meet and exchange ideas and information. I have tried to find listings of chat rooms for use with iChat but I have come up short. Many seem to be areas just for dating or swapping pictures of different body parts. Why isn't iChat being used for general discussions?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
That would be great if there was a mr chatroom. You would be able to get help instantly.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
MR has a chat room on IRC for those that want to use it, we even have our own client - MRChat, or if you have your own client it's on irc.krono.net, channel: #macrumors :)

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
Being moderated didn't occur to me. I have use the IRC client but didn't like it as much as ichat but I suppose it also makes it more of a cross platform tool.
I have started a chat called macchat, everyone is welcome.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Periodically, macrumors AIM chats break out.

At one time, we had one with like 40 people in it.

However, IRC is much more constant. You see people idling in IRC who sign off AIM every night, it's just how it works.

Because we have an already established IRC channel with 20+ people at any one time, I don't think getting a PERMANENT AIM chatroom up is gonna work, however for impromptu discussions, AIM chatrooms are great.

Just my two pennies.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
You are probably right. I posted here in frustration. I thought when ichat first appeared the .mac site mite start listing a few named rooms as a starting off point for members to meet and chat. It never happened, and all the sites I have found seem to be just name listings or empty rooms. Oh well I am net very computer literate, maybe I was hoping for to much.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
guess i should stop by the IRC chat sometime, maybe ill get around to it when i have a paper to stall on...like tonight

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Too bad there's no "defacto" IRC client on OS X. I've tried quite a few - Conversations, Snax, XChat, Colloquy, Ircle, and a couple more, and didn't really like any of them. That was a while ago though.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Yeah iChat/AIM rooms and IRC channels are really for slightly different purposes. I would recommend learning how to use IRC and idle in various channels. Eventually you may find yourself idling in several servers and a dozen or two channels, something that is absolutely impractical in iChat/AIM rooms. Also IRC means there are lots of convenient bots & scripts.

Anyhow the macrumors chan is very full all of the time, so check it out. :)

kubark42

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2005
I personally vote for an iChat room, if only because iChat is included on all computers, and irc is oftentimes firewalled (as it is for me right now on this network. I'm on a university network where I can do everything, even bittorrent, but I just can't connect to the irc servers.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.