Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Web Design and Development (archive)

Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Need help with A Small Orange please!

Hey guys, I just signed up for a website through asmallorange.com, paid for their tiny service and bought craigotis.com as a domain name for $10. Now what do I do.

I know it sounds like an open-ended question, but I need help on just... Doing stuff. How do I edit account settings? How do I upload files? How come craigotis.com doesn't work yet? I'm not new to web design, or FTP servers or anything like that, but I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do anything with my account. I came here to ask because I know that quite a few of you guys use A Small Orange as your hosting service, and I was hoping you could give a beginner a few tips. Thanks!
Littleodie914 is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:17 AM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Why not ask them? No one else is going to know better than the source

craigotis.com probably isn't working yet because new registrations will take up to around 48hrs I believe to replicate throughout all the DNS servers around the world

Last edited by edesignuk; Feb 13, 2005 at 09:20 AM.
edesignuk is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
Why not ask them? No one else is going to know better than the source

craigotis.com probably isn't working yet because new registrations will take up to around 48hrs I believe to replicate throughout all the DNS servers around the world
Ah, yea, probably should have tried that first... I think I'm becoming too dependent on MR

I just got their confirmation e-mail, and it said that they were going to send a welcome e-mail within 24 hours with instruction on how to access the FTP account and what-not... I apologize for "jumping the gun", if you will
Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:27 AM   #4
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleodie914
Ah, yea, probably should have tried that first... I think I'm becoming too dependent on MR

I just got their confirmation e-mail, and it said that they were going to send a welcome e-mail within 24 hours with instruction on how to access the FTP account and what-not... I apologize for "jumping the gun", if you will
No problem. ASO are really helpful though, anything specific to them you are better asking them about, they always get back to queries quickly. They seem to have a very good and helpful community going in their forums too.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Hoef
macrumors 6502a

Try Monday .... You should see your directory structure (default is on). I believe you get a seperate email for your domain name confirmation. BTW their help desk is really awesome. They helped me with the weirdest requests.
Hoef is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:43 AM   #6
snkTab
macrumors 6502a

for me it was almost instant. i guess it just depends on how fast email is flying some days.
snkTab is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Alright, I got the e-mail from them, with the IP addresses, how to get to my FTP space, etc. I don't quite understand what a nameserver is or why when I go to craigotis.com it comes up with the "Index of /" thing instead of my index.html file. Thanks for the help so far!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:10 PM   #8
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleodie914
Alright, I got the e-mail from them, with the IP addresses, how to get to my FTP space, etc. I don't quite understand what a nameserver is or why when I go to craigotis.com it comes up with the "Index of /" thing instead of my index.html file. Thanks for the help so far!
A nameserver is something that translates, say "craigotis.com" to, say "70.85.79.4". The internet runs off IP addresses, but we human types prefer to use names.

And, as far as your index.html: I don't use ASO (yet), but, with DreamHost, you need to go down to your domain folder - the top-level directory you log into isn't your web domain's top directory. Perhaps ASO is the same way. Maybe your index.html is in the wrong folder.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:16 PM   #9
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

When you FTP to your domain, you need to put your index.html in /public_html/
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:19 PM   #10
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Ah! I got it. I was putting all my files in the "/" folder, when they actually needed to go into the "/public_html/" directory. Thanks for all your help guys!

Edit: Haha thanks edesign, guess I should refresh the page before posting replies

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Web Design and Development (archive)