Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acribb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I want to add a SSD to my 2010 i7 15" MBP and was thinking about adding a SSD as the boot drive in a optibay-like HDD caddy.

Will this 'Fenvi' eBay special fit in the optical bay? http://cgi.ebay.com/2nd-HDD-SSD-Cad...ge_Internal&hash=item27b4fb5d6e#ht_2623wt_907

Does it screw in using the OEM optical drive holes in the MBP?

I know it's cheap, but I have not had any problems with anything of this nature I have previously bought off of eBay that shipped from China. The only issue is the almost 1 month delivery time....

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
No this will not work. You have to pony up the little more for the MBP compatible model. I made this mistake as well. The shape of the device doesnt fit in the bay of the MBP.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Cheap eBay special worked fine for me too, but I don't think we needed to resurrect a 2-month old thread to say that ;)

hekokimushi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Well, im very impressed with my setup.
:) as i was searching the capability for the Fenvi Caddy with the macbooks.

found and bought this together with an air Super Drive enclosure from ebay got a deal from the seller for GBP33 + shipping.

dualamann

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Fits, but doesn't stay in place

Sorry to kick up some dust on an old thread, but I did spot this along the way so thought I'd post back some findings for fellow googlers.

Just picked up one of these and it looks pretty decent. What worries me about it is that there's no way of keeping it in place internally. You attach a fixing screw from the stock DVD drive to the rear of the Fenvi unit which secures one side, the the other side (behind the slot on the case) is left loose.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't trust this thing rattling around inside the laptop, especially when the antenna cables sit on top of it internally.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Sorry to kick up some dust on an old thread, but I did spot this along the way so thought I'd post back some findings for fellow googlers.

Just picked up one of these and it looks pretty decent. What worries me about it is that there's no way of keeping it in place internally. You attach a fixing screw from the stock DVD drive to the rear of the Fenvi unit which secures one side, the the other side (behind the slot on the case) is left loose.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't trust this thing rattling around inside the laptop, especially when the antenna cables sit on top of it internally.

I have the Fenvi too, but found that with the rear screws and the Wifi bracket covering the upper 1/3, mine fits very tight. Does yours actually rattle around or are you just saying you're afraid it will?

I will say though, now that the Nimitz one is down to $23, I'm considering getting one. Not only because it screws down to the factory locations, but also because the hard drive screws into the caddy.

Edit: I just talked myself into buying the Nimitz one :)

Last edited:

dualamann

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
TBH, more of a worry. I had the fendi installed and sitting there loose and thought "No" before yanking it. Reckon the bracket would keep it in place alright, but I don't need the worry! Found a different 3-fixing unit and will replace it with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.