Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I just looked at http://www.apple.com/macbook and they are now advertising that the unchanged Plastic MacBook offers up to 7 hours battery life, down from the 10 hours they were advertising up to now.

This probably means that the 2011 MacBook Pro 13" does indeed have the same battery life as the 2010...

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
I don't know if I buy Apple's reasoning that their new tests are more accurate.

If that's true, why hasn't the MacBook Air estimates changed?

I think they shaved off 3 hours on battery life (most likely due to processor or chipset jump, or Thunderbolt), and needed a marketing line (read: a lie) to justify it.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I don't know if I buy Apple's reasoning that their new tests are more accurate.

If that's true, why hasn't the MacBook Air estimates changed?

apple started doing the new battery testing method with the new MacBook Airs...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
apple started doing the new battery testing method with the new MacBook Airs...

True. The real question is why they didn't recalibrate the MacBook Pro and MacBook battery claims when the updated MacBook Air was released last October.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Well, sure that makes sense.. but does that mean they've been advertising disingenuous numbers for MacBook Pros for 4 months now?

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
True. The real question is why they didn't recalibrate the MacBook Pro and MacBook battery claims when the updated MacBook Air was released last October.

Because it's apple advertising their own product, and the average user does not know/care how apple tested the battery life, and only cares about the number of hours.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Well, sure that makes sense.. but does that mean they've been advertising disingenuous numbers for MacBook Pros for 4 months now?

Yes and no. Tests change... that doesn't mean that manufacturer's need to go back and retest every configuration they ever released. Or even current ones.

There is a very close analogy in the automobile industry. A few years ago, the Society of Automotive Engineer changed the test they used to determine an engine's horsepower. This resulted in cars having different horsepower numbers from one year to the next, even when nothing had changed.

Does this mean that one engine had different output than another? No. They still made the exact same amount of power... just the testing methodology had changed. Were automakers being disingenuous advertising numbers gleaned under the old test? No - that test was the standard when that model was released, therefore using those results was OK.

I'm more surprised that Apple updated the MacBook to reflect the new test than anything. But I guess it makes sense that everything on their website now adheres to the new standard...

I can certainly see how people might consider this practice disingenuous, but I really don't think it is. It's more or less the norm when testing standards change...

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
This was posted on computer shopper's website today regarding their review of the new 13"

"The MacBook continued to trounce its competition in our battery life test. We ran our demanding DVD rundown test, where we loop a movie until the battery dies. At press time, the battery was set to die after about 7 hours and 30 minutes. (We'll update this time when our battery rundown has completed. The previous version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro lasted 7 hours, 28 minutes, so we expect that number to be accurate, since this version has the same battery.) This time beats the thin-and-light-category average by more than four hours, and no other similar notebook even comes close. Apple rates the battery life at 7 hours in its online-video-streaming rundown, so it's nice for once to see a battery last even longer than a maker touts."

I think it is safe to say that battery life will be the same, but Apple is simply being more upfront about real life performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.