Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have been out of the unlocking scene for a while, but I have tried everything and about ready to pull my hair out. Google doesn't turn anything up, and only things that apply to OS 3.x or even OS 2.x (Google does NOT have the best search algorithm, it is just they turn up more results....that is for a different thread).

Anyways, I have an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0 and modem firmware 5.11.07,

I gotten through the Pwnage Tool version 4.2 and everything went great, here are a few problems I am running into.

The DFU mode feature no longer detects whether the iPhone is on or off, it just goes ahead and tells you to press the button sequence without the phone being off, thus throwing me off, especially if the phone takes longer than usual to shut off, this is infuriating.

After fiddling with that, iTunes states that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode, which is great, until it decided to just remain stuck on "Preparing iPhone for restore"...I went and did other things for an hour, and came back and it was still stuck like that.

So what am I doing wrong here? Can someone help me before I go entirely insane?!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I figured it out, and believe it or not, it was the USB cable! Tried a different iPhone sync cable and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.