Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I would make this into a poll, but I know there will be some people using something other than IE, Netscape, Firefox, Camino, Safari, or Shiira...

Anyway, I used to be pure Safari, but I have started using Shiira today. It leaves Safari in the dust when it comes to rendering speed - sometimes the difference is as much as 4x (for example - 5 seconds to render in Shiira, 20 seconds to render in Safari)! Shiira is also far more customizable, and it integrates with Safari so you can still use all your Safari bookmarks. I recommend trying Shiira to all Safari users. In fact, every Mac OS X 10.3 user should try Shiira - I'm sure some of you will like it as much as I do!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I use Firefox 1.0 all the time, on Mac & PC.

edit: iLikeMyiMac, good point. I use the G5 opt build on my iMac, the G4 opt on my AlBook, and the standard x86 on Windows.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
iLikeMyiMac said:
I use the G4 optimized build of Firefox.
same here. i dont know if it's really any faster, and i use candy bar to get another icon so i dont have the cool fox-around-apple one, but i just like to know it's g4 optimized lol
on my parent's pc i use netscape 7 because my dad uninstalled firefox 1 for some reason (?) and the only alternative is ie6

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
Firefox since I need to use windows also, I understand the firefox quirks and it's the same browser in both places.

as for shiira, what does it do more than safari? I didn't notice much.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
G5 optimised build of Firefox for me. I prefer the UI of Safari, but it's just too slow.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I use Firefox on my Satan... err. I mean PieCe of crap, I mean pc. And on my Angel... err... Mac, I use Safari the most, I need to download Camio or Firefox.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
rasp said:
Firefox since I need to use windows also, I understand the firefox quirks and it's the same browser in both places.

as for shiira, what does it do more than safari? I didn't notice much.
Maybe these screenshots will help explain things.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I use Safari on my Mac at home. Mozilla on my PeeCee at home, and Firefox on my PeeCee at work.

I know that Safari is slower on the Mac than some of the others like Firefox, but I can't give up the look at feel.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I use Safari almost exclusively too. Never ran into an essential site that has problems with it (non-essential sites I have ran into - most recently maps.google.com). Never needed anything else.

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Maybe these screenshots will help explain things.

sort of, I downloaded and ran shiira, and didn't see anything compelling for what I want, a bit more control over the tabs, but I want control over things like flash and animated images.

The one thing that makes me want to run safari is it's integration into services.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Just downloaded the optimized G5 Firefox which is a lot quicker on my imac! Used the other standard Firefox before because i just prefer it, as much as i want to like Safari the tabs are annoyingly small and i just prefer using Firefox (which is also faster imo)

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
OmniWeb 5 is my choice for its excellent site-by-site cookie handling as well as other site preferences. On the old PC, Firefox.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Safari 98% of the time. I need Mozilla every now and then. I need Explorer so infrequently that it doesn't even have a spot on the Dock.

I would use Firefox for more things, but I downloaded the optimized version from this thread and it wouldn't load the first test page I went to properly. DailyKos.com shows the outer columns while the center is missing.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Xtremehkr said:
Safari 98% of the time. I need Mozilla every now and then. I need Explorer so infrequently that it doesn't even have a spot on the Dock.

I would use Firefox for more things, but I downloaded the optimized version from this thread and it wouldn't load the first test page I went to properly. DailyKos.com shows the outer columns while the center is missing.

Uh, the center is displaying just fine. I'm using the 1.0 release version, optimized for SSE. Optimizations aside, there aren't any huge differences between the PC/Mac version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.