Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hi All,

I'm posting this to try and clear up some of the confusion surrounding discounts for UK students. I've commented on many threads to try and make things clear to people and I even had to correct the MacHardware Guide which stated Apple had stopped offering some discounts.

The discount system is quite difficult, but I will try and find a balance between giving sources and keeping it clear. Firstly, a disclaimer- The information I give below represents my honest opinion/interpretation of the rules at this time, I believe this to be true and aim to provide evidence, however I cannot guarantee it is 100% accurate. Please do your own research too.

Preliminary Points-

The information is only relevant to UK students. UK students are very fortunate to get good deals with Apple, unfortunately other countries have different systems.

The information is relevant to individuals purchasing for their own use, not for people buying on behalf of an institution. Most of the information is about purchasing computers (other minor discounts apply, eg a few pounds off the iPad). Also note that many people can get a discount (I've known NHS, Army, Fire Service etc all get modest ~5% discounts). Try and see what you can get and be friendly!

There are several separate schemes for providing discounts-

• Any old student!
  • Further Education Students (and teachers)
  • Higher Education Students (and academic staff)

The education store can be found here with a link for school pupils, FE students and HE students separately.

Any old student!

This discount is ~4%. Some form of ID is normally required if you deal face-to-face, and Apple tend to randomly check a small percentage of people who buy remotely. This discount is the simplest, but is quite modest.

Further Education Students

FE students include people at 6th Form colleges etc. A limited number of institutions have an agreement with Apple for special discounts. To find out if you can get money off go to the online education store (from your institution's network) and click "FE Establishment". If Apple recognises the IP address it will let you in. You can also call the education number and ask.

I don't know a lot about the discount amount, but it seems to be around 8% if available according to Apple's site. If your establishment is not one of the ones that have an agreement with Apple the ~4% discount should still be available.

Higher Education Students

This is where it gets tough! There are two separate systems for HE students. One is available online/over the phone and the other is in store. I'll go through each-

Higher Education Students ONLINE/PHONE

These methods means you purchase subject to something called the "National HE Apple Agreement" (henceforth HE Contract). Some of you are probably rolling your eyes now- so I'll explain!

In 2003(ish) a consortium of HE institutions (and a couple of FE institutions) invited computer companies to bid on a contract to supply machines- Apple won. So the Universities' Apple Computer Group (UACG) and Apple formed the HE Contract. Basically lots of unis get Macs at a good price so they and Apple are happy. Part of that agreement meant that discounts had to also be available to students and staff the agreement states these are available online or over the phone. The 1st agreement was renewed, the 2nd was due to expire 30th September 2010, but was extended by a year. A third agreement was signed which now runs until September 2015, see here.

These discounts are very good- roughly ~15% off Macs. However, the best bit of news is that there is a 3 year parts and labour warranty included as standard. This parts and labour warranty is similar to Applecare, but not quite as good. Applecare gives you 3 years warranty and 3 years phone support, the HE Contract gives you 3 years warranty and 1 years phone support. Some people seem to be confused over this- with the student warranty you can still phone Apple after the first year to report a hardware fault and they can still come and pick your machine up from you, what they won't do is advise on software issues after the first year. Full Applecare can be purchased at the same time for ~£50 if you like, but it must be at the same time to get that price, if you buy later you will probably have to pay nearly full price. Remember AppleCare will cover add-ons like monitors purchased at the same time as the Mac. (There is some debate over whether the HE Warranty is transferable or world wide- can anyone give evidence to show either way?)

I stress again that the HE Contract only applies online/over the phone. To go to the online store you need to be on your uni network. Apple's HE T&Cs state-

2.1 To place an Order you must be 18 years of age or over and be accessible by non cellular telephone. In order to benefit from the special discounts on the Apple Store that has been set up for those eligible to purchase under the HE National Agreement you must be either a registered student and possess a valid student I.D. or you must be engaged or employed by an eligible education institution and be entitled to purchase in accordance with the terms and conditions of the HE National Agreement and must require the Produce for your own use or for classes or for research.

Update thanks to RedTomato- Although any computers must intended to be used by students/staff somebody else can pay (eg a parent). Just make sure the Mac is shipped in the name of a student, to their address and registered by a student.

2.2 You may place an Order by:
2.2.1 filling in the Order Form on the Apple Store Web Site after logging into or creating your personal account and clicking on the "Place my order" button;
2.2.2 telephoning us on 0800 912 0207 between 09:00 and 17:00 Mondays to Fridays.
We will not accept Orders placed in any way other than those listed above.

2.8 The following quantity limits per academic school year apply to purchases on the Apple Online Store for Education:

- Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
- Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.

The vast majority of UK HE students can receive this discount. Some Apple staff are unclear that the 3 year warranty is available. Update thanks to psxguru- if you click "learn more" on Applecare in the configuration screen it does mention the standard 3 year warranty and explains the difference with the uplift.

Update inspired by Uren- The Apple online warranty check doesn't usually show the 3 year warranty right away. Don't worry it appears later (mine was ~9 weeks). After ~90 days you should get an email confirming the 3 year warranty applies.

Higher Education Students IN STORE

The main point to realise here is that the HE Contract does not apply. Please be clear on this- Apple are under a contractual obligation to offer discounts online/over the phone but not in store. In store discounts are down to Apple's own policy which could change. An ID card, registration letter or something like that should be fine to buy in store.

Currently, Apple appear to be happy to give ~15% off to students in store. Sometimes you have to remind them or clarify that you are a uni student not a school student etc but from what I know from people on this board and people I know in the real world (;)) 15% is available- just be patient as the system is confusing and not all Apple staff will know the difference between a uni/college/school student straight off. People can usually get Applecare for ~£50 as well, but again you may need to be patient and explain.

To be crystal clear- the 3 year warranty is not available as standard in store! (One of my friend's was told it was and had to correct the salesman. As an aside be wary of going "Ah ha- you said it was so that is binding", it isn't that simple, but I won't go into that now).

Summary

If you are an FE student see if Apple has an agreement, but if not go for the normal discount.

If you are an HE student and you want Applecare you can buy in store or online/phone (just double check the correct discount has been applied).

If you are a HE student and you think the standard 3 year basic warranty is enough buy online/phone. Not in store. All students I know received an email about 90 days later saying the extended warranty is now in effect (all Macs come with 90 days phone support, so I guess they tell you then to be clear your one year phone support is in effect).

If anything is incorrect please let me know! But I hope this helps and it stops some HE students needlessly buying Applecare.

I think this is quite an important issue with much confusion (just see how many times I have posted on the subject!). If moderators agree, any chance of making this a sticky?

Last edited:

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
This needs to be a sticky. Maybe not, but still it's very informative for those of us new to the UK side of things.

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
The vast majority of UK HE students can receive this discount. Some Apple staff are unclear that the 3 year warranty is available. Apple don't seem to make it obvious (the cynic in me says they are trying to have their cake and eat it to!) and when you try and buy a Mac it still says one year warranty on the configure screen. Don't worry, this happened to me, it is the T&Cs that matter- they are clear.

I found one reference to the warranty other than hidden in the T&Cs here (it also reaffirms the need to be online/phone)- http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/education_pricing/university

If you click 'learn more' in the Service and Support section when configuring your Mac you will see that you get 3 years warranty, 1 year telephone support...

Service and support from the people who know your Mac best

Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan (Extended Telephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered.

simongoldring

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks for this useful post.

Does the HE contract (the ~15% discount and 3 years warranty) apply to configure-to-order purchases, or merely the base models?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
This needs to be a sticky. Maybe not, but still it's very informative for those of us new to the UK side of things.

I thought about asking for a sub-forum for education purchases (not just UK), but thought I'd be overstepping my paygrade! :D

If you click 'learn more' in the Service and Support section when configuring your Mac you will see that you get 3 years warranty, 1 year telephone support...

Great find! Thanks for that. I remember my MB a year ago giving no hint of a three year discount and it worrying me.

Does the HE contract (the ~15% discount and 3 years warranty) apply to configure-to-order purchases, or merely the base models?

It does apply to configured purchases, the T&Cs make no distinction between the two.

There is some question about refurbished models (I posted on a thread about it the other day) my gut says no, but I want some black-and-white evidence before I put it in my post above. Anyone have such evidence?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Brilliant post and thanks for the clear explanation.

I would also note that the T & Cs do not forbid resale, and they do not say that the user of the system must be the one that purchases it. So the following scenarios all apply:

- Parents / benevolent others can purchase using the HE discount for the use of their HE student sprogs. (I have seen this done in store - the student shows their card and the parent / friend forks over the cash).

- Students can buy systems and if struck by poverty, can sell them off to a third party with no impact on the warranty.

- If you're hard-up, and don't qualify for the discount, you can rope in a student friend to go to the Store with you / buy online at their HE institution and get the HE discount / free AppleCare for you. (damn good offer)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Smashing thread!

One thing I've always semi-wondered is (and heard conflicting info about) regarding discounts and teachers. Do they still get discounts too, in line with the student rate for that college/university?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Brilliant post and thanks for the clear explanation.

I would also note that the T & Cs do not forbid resale, and they do not say that the user of the system must be the one that purchases it.

ONLINE/PHONE

The T&Cs do not forbid resale, correct. However, they do say you "must require the Produce for your own use or for classes or for research" (s.2.1 quoted in full above). However, there is a difference between who pays and the recipient. This is actually due to technical legal points- if a shop knows the person paying the money is doing it for somebody else the intended recipient has rights transferred to them. This can be done in person or, for example, by shipping it to a student in their name and writing a delivery note online. Therefore, the Mac bought online should be shipped addressed to a student, registered and used by a student but the money can be paid by somebody else.

IN STORE

There are no such T&Cs as it not under the HE Contract. So if you walk in with a friend who is a student and you purchase it then I don't think it is a problem (the Apple staff would tell you anyway).

---------

So the following scenarios all apply:

- Parents / benevolent others can purchase using the HE discount for the use of their HE student sprogs. (I have seen this done in store - the student shows their card and the parent / friend forks over the cash).

Yes as I explained above.

- Students can buy systems and if struck by poverty, can sell them off to a third party with no impact on the warranty.

I have heard this vocally from a few people, but I have been reluctant to write it until I see it in black and white. Do you have that? The 3 year warranty is not quite the same as Applecare.

- If you're hard-up, and don't qualify for the discount, you can rope in a student friend to go to the Store with you / buy online at their HE institution and get the HE discount / free AppleCare for you. (damn good offer)

As I said above- in store yes unless told otherwise. Online/phone however, s.2.1 applies above so the intended user must be a student/academic staff. However, a student can buy a Mac for themselves intending to use it for their studies, then change their mind a sell it on to a friend (!) . Also, the quantity limits apply as quoted above.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Smashing thread!

One thing I've always semi-wondered is (and heard conflicting info about) regarding discounts and teachers. Do they still get discounts too, in line with the student rate for that college/university?

University staff

Online/phone section 2.1 of the T&Cs makes it clear that they get the same terms as students online/phone. I quoted it in my OP.

In store it is simply at the discretion/policy of Apple/staff. They are quite liberal with discounts (like I said above, Drs, Nurses, Army, Fireman etc) so there is a good chance.

Teachers (ie not HE staff)

Online/phone if they are FE teachers they should be able get the FE discount as mentioned above if their institution has an agreement with Apple. However, FE agreements vary between institutions so it is hard to say.

In store I have known teachers to get the ~4% off no problem.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Thanks for the clarifications, and no I don't have specific wording to back up the point about the HE warranty travelling with the computer.

However, in general, Apple warranties travel with the computer and are registered to the computer, not to the user.

I purchased a Macbook via the HE discount several years ago, and claimed on it recently (dead TC and cracking plastic on the MB). While I was checking the warranty status of my MB on the Apple website, all the warranty info there was linked to my macbook, and there was nothing that implied that if it was transferred to a different Apple ID the warranty would become invalid.

You could still be right though, but it would be an added complexity to Apple's systems for little gain.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
I purchased a Macbook via the HE discount several years ago, and claimed on it recently (dead TC and cracking plastic on the MB). While I was checking the warranty status of my MB on the Apple website, all the warranty info there was linked to my macbook, and there was nothing that implied that if it was transferred to a different Apple ID the warranty would become invalid.

Mine is similar, it says you have a "custom arrangement" warranty. It seems likely that the warranty transfers, but I wanted my OP to be as definitive as possible. Some people say the warranty is not transferable, but again don't have that in black and white. Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll add that evidence to the 'it is transferable' pile!

I have tried to hunt down an actual copy of the HE Contract, but everything I find refers to it or quotes small bits.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
What's the difference between an Apple warranty and Applecare?

As it says in the post- the HE warranty includes a 3 year parts and labour warranty, and 1 year phone support. AppleCare includes 3 years phone support.

The HE warranty is provided like AppleCare- you phone Apple and they can collect it or you bring it to store and they repair it. When I check my warranty online at https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do it correctly shows 3 years.

There may be a difference in that it is not entirely clear if the HE warranty is transferable to new owners or provides worldwide cover. I am trying to find solid black-and-white evidence to get an answer but it is very difficult.

BMJT

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
Bristol, UK
As it says in the post- the HE warranty includes a 3 year parts and labour warranty, and 1 year phone support. AppleCare includes 3 years phone support.

The HE warranty is provided like AppleCare- you phone Apple and they can collect it or you bring it to store and they repair it. When I check my warranty online at https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do it correctly shows 3 years.

There may be a difference in that it is not entirely clear if the HE warranty is transferable to new owners or provides worldwide cover. I am trying to find solid black-and-white evidence to get an answer but it is very difficult.

Ah right, got it, thanks.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
In section 2.8 it states purchase limits per year. Are these limits just for students? As a purchaser for an academic research group, there is no apparent problem ordering more than this number per year. Thus receiving both the 15% education discount and the VAT exemption. Custom orders are also fine.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
In section 2.8 it states purchase limits per year. Are these limits just for students? As a purchaser for an academic research group, there is no apparent problem ordering more than this number per year. Thus receiving both the 15% education discount and the VAT exemption. Custom orders are also fine.

These terms are for students, or academic staff acting in their capacity as consumers. UK HE institutions themselves have a separate arrangements (laid out in the National HE Agreement signed by UACG). It would make sense that an institution doesn't have a limit of one a year!

Choosing to upgrade the RAM, hard-drive etc online doesn't make it a custom order. An engraved iPod is an example of a custom order. This distinction becomes important for consumer rights.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
These terms are for students, or academic staff acting in their capacity as consumers. UK HE institutions themselves have a separate arrangements (laid out in the National HE Agreement signed by UACG). It would make sense that an institution doesn't have a limit of one a year!
Fair point!

Choosing to upgrade the RAM, hard-drive etc online doesn't make it a custom order. An engraved iPod is an example of a custom order. This distinction becomes important for consumer rights.
Hmm...That's interesting. I thought a custom order was when you asked for a different keyboard/RAM/HD etc than stock. These come up at the online store as 'custom orders' which I thought you also could not return (unless faulty).

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hmm...That's interesting. I thought a custom order was when you asked for a different keyboard/RAM/HD etc than stock. These come up at the online store as 'custom orders' which I thought you also could not return (unless faulty).

Ok, this is getting into contract/consumer law etc, so I'll try and be brief. First- usual disclaimer- I am not a lawyer! This is not legal advice! This is my honest opinion only!

If you (as a consumer) buy online and want to return because you have changed your mind (ie the machine is not broken) you have three options-

Apple Policy

Basically a goodwill gesture. You ask very nicely and they say yes!

Your Contract With Apple

When you purchase online you press that button that says "I agree to the T&Cs". Those T&Cs are you contract- not what the Apple guy on the phone told you, not what happened to your friend, not what is written on the front of the website. Apple cannot change them retrospectively and can't introduce a policy that contradicts them. (Which is why I always save a copy of the T&Cs when I buy something expensive, if the terms become less favourable I can bring my saved copy out and say this is what I agreed to).

So what are Apple's terms? See http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individual.html

7.1 Right to withdraw from the contract. If you are not satisfied with any Product or the terms of any entitlement to Services you have purchased from us, you may return the Product to us or cancel the entitlement to Services and obtain a refund of the price of the returned Product or Service entitlement if you contact us within 14 Calendar Days of delivery of the Product or entering into the contract for the purchase of Services.

7.2 Exceptions to the right to withdraw from the contract... b) a personalized product such as iPod or iPad with an engraving made in accordance with your specifications.

7.3 You can exercise your right to return the Product to us or cancel the entitlement to Services and obtain a refund of the price of the returned Product or Service entitlement provided...(ii) The Product(s) are returned in their original condition and the security seals on the Product(s) are intact...
[Note there is more in s.7 than just this]

These terms make reference to iPod engravings and the like, but that seems quite different from adding extra RAM. Apple cannot resell an iPod with your name engraved, but it could easily resell a MBP with extra RAM. Remember, if a clause is ambiguous it will be interpreted in the consumer's favour. Apple themselves seem not to limit the return of configured devices.

Consumer Protection Laws

Apple's contract cannot (usually) exclude or limit your consumer rights. If they contradict the law wins. The relevant ones here are the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. These say you can return an item bought online within 7 days, but you must take reasonable care of it. This means you can inspect your new goods. The regulations themselves are here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/made/data.pdf. Reg 13 is most relevant.

The Office of Fair Trading have a very useful guide- http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

3.23 Where the DSRs give consumers the right to cancel an order, this right is unconditional and begins from the moment the contract is concluded. Unlike when buying from a shop, the first time that a consumer will typically have an opportunity to examine goods purchased by distance means is when they receive them. The DSRs give consumers who buy by distance means more rights than consumers who shop in person. When a distance consumer cancels a contract to which the cancellation provisions apply they are entitled to a refund of any money they have paid in relation to the contract even if the goods are not defective in any way. Please also see paragraph 3.46 for further information.

3.38 Unless you have agreed that they can, your consumers cannot cancel if the order is for:

the supply of goods made to the consumer’s own specification such as custom-made blinds or curtains. But this exception does not apply to upgrade options such as choosing alloy wheels when buying a car; or opting for add-on memory or choosing a combination of standard-off-the shelf components when ordering a PC, for example

The OFT guide is not law, but will be persuasive. Note that it doesn't matter if the packaging is opened (unless it is software, a DVD etc) as how else could you inspect your goods?

So Reg 13 is supposed to exclude things like the bookcase I ordered the other day where I specified the exact dimensions, shelf height, wood stain etc. If I returned it it would not be easy to sell on.

So there you go! I can see no reason why a configured machine would be treated differently to a standard one even if Apple label it as 'custom'.

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
Is there any discount available for Primary School Teachers?

Also, can you get the HE student discount if you're doing an Open University course?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Is there any discount available for Primary School Teachers?

I believe primary school teachers should be able to get the 4% off, no more than that though.

Also, can you get the HE student discount if you're doing an Open University course?

Almost all HE students can get the discount, there are very few exceptions. Open University does appear to have the agreement with Apple, so the ~15% off and 3 year warranty should apply. If you phone Apple education line (and speak to someone who knows what they are talking about) they will be able to confirm.

Uren

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011

Well, I must be unlucky because when I check online for the MBP I ordered on the online UK HE store from a campus computer it says my computer hardware warranty will expire in 1 year. I don't understand why because when I bought it, there was a clear mention that it was 3 year hardware warranty and 1 phone support.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Well, I must be unlucky because when I check online for the MBP I ordered on the online UK HE store from a campus computer it says my computer hardware warranty will expire in 1 year. I don't understand why because when I bought it, there was a clear mention that it was 3 year hardware warranty and 1 phone support.

It takes a while for the 3 year warranty to appear online (I took about 9 weeks for mine to appear). You should also get an email after 90 days confirming your student warranty (the normal AppleCare has 90 days phone support, the student standard warranty has 1 year, so I guess that may be why it comes then).

Remember it is irrelevant what Apple says on its online warranty check- when you placed your order you will have ticked a box saying "I agree to the T&Cs *link*" or something similar. Those are the terms of your contract with Apple, they say you have a 3 year warranty, Apple cannot change its mind afterwards. Which is why when you buy something big (laptop, mobile contract etc) actually bother to read the T&Cs and keep a copy! Little bit of contract law for you! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.