Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone with Lion have a modern wide-gamut display? Does lion automatically handles the color saturation problem that occurs with these types of displays? Windows7 handles them fine, hence their popularity but SL does not at all, and only specific apps such as Photoshop deals with colors properly and does not completely oversaturate the reds and greens.

Just curious, as this would allow a valid display option with 10.7 rather than forcing web developers with mac pros or minis to use older non-wide gamut displays.

Cheers.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Are you sure it's not just your particular display that doesn't play ball? I haven't noticed any difference in colors between Win7 and OSX with my Dell 3008WFP.

rhuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Quite sure. You only see the issues when one of your wide-gamut displays is the "primary" display. I tested the issue extensively with my mac pro and 2 HP ZR30W displays. Even after using my spider3 pro and custom calibrating both, it simply was not possible to achieve natural and 100% accurate colors.

This is how a screenshot of CNET looked with the wide-gamut HP displays. Notice how over-saturated the red colors are:

Attachments

• Technology_News_-_CNET_News-20100817-133114.png
    Technology_News_-_CNET_News-20100817-133114.png
    445.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

thinh3d

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
Hull, UK
this is actually interesting. I do have a Dell U2711, and when I finish installing Lion, I'll inform you on how it works. If Apple actually resolves this issue, Lion will be .... I don't know what to say :rolleyes:

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
I'm reviving this months old thread cause I'm also interested to know whether Lion handles wide gamut display any better than 10.6 did.

Anyone?

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you tried getting the ColorSync profiles and use those?

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you tried getting the ColorSync profiles and use those?

The color saturation issue the OP mentioned is also called "lobsterization", because it reddens skin tones and oversaturates reds. It would happen if the wide screen display was used as main display, but not if used as secondary. It was also application specific. Color managed applications like Photoshop would work fine, but Safari and the Dock (and also Final Cut 7!) would show the issue.

EDIT: ColorSync cannot solve the problem because it's application specific. Non-color managed applications apply a profile to untagged images simply assuming that your display is sRGB. Your display may be profiled correctly, but the application will just ignore the correct display profile and chuck an sRGB profile at the images, causing the color shift. While applications like Safari don't get updated to apply the correct display profile to untagged images (or to respect the profile of tagged ones) wide gamut displays will continue to show these images' colors incorrectly. So it's not a matter of 10.7 supporting wide gamut displays. It already does. It's more like a matter of Apple adding adequate color management to their own freaking apps. Guess they don't care that much, since all displays they have on offer are standard gamut, in all their glossy glory...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.