Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinyHulk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
The Netherlands
I'm about to buy a new MacBook Air to replace my old MacBook but I like to tweak things!

The ability to spoof the mac address of the airport and usb ethernetadapter is a must for me! (Do not ask why because it is a boring story)

I could not get it to work on 10.6 with my old MacBook but it worked in Windows XP via bootcamp. I think the problem was driver related.

Is it possible to spoof the Airport mac address on the new MacBook Air?
Is it possible to spoof the USB Ethernet adapter mac address on the new MacBook Air?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated :)

TinyHulk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
The Netherlands
I know this commands:

Show Mac Address (en5 = ethernet adapter)

Code:
ifconfig en5 | grep ether

Change Mac Address (only worked in OSX Tiger?)

Code:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

But I can not get it to work. (I'm trying this on my old MacBook)

I know it does not survive a reboot but thats not a problem since I can write a apple script and launch it when reboot ;)

rotundo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
For this to work, the airport adapter must be turned on but must not be associated with a network. You can achieve this by either clicking on "join network" and entering anything that doesn't exist or you can use the command line:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

(I know, quite a mouthful, but it disconnects the Mac from any Wifi network immediately.)

After this, you can change the address as usual:

sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr <your new address>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.