Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:25 AM   #1
eromero90
macrumors newbie

Installing Lion on your main user??? think twice.

So I have a late 2009 15 MacBook pro with a 320 HD/4GB of RAM/ 2.53 Intel Core2 Duo. Installed Lion and after the install, it kept crashing and kernel panicking during the intro video. After several attempts of repairing the HD, it worked, yet I had no sound when on my account and the system was very slow. I was able to downgrade back to snow leopard by simply inserting my full DVD of snow Leopard and proceeded the install and had no issue.

Now, I have created a small partition at least of 11 GB for Lion only, thought this time I don't have my BootCamp partition which I believe it could have affected the install since in the new partition, everything works fine no issue at all.

Thinking of installing Lion on top of my main user again and hopefully it works again, but if you don't want to risk loosing your information, simply create another partition.
eromero90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Steve Ballmer
macrumors 6502

Or don't run beta software.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:29 AM   #3
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

What is it about the word BETA that you don't understand?
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:32 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
What is it about the word BETA that you don't understand?
BETA is just a letter in the Greek alphabet, therefore an ALPHA should be the better choice for the OP, as all the kinks of the BETA have not been included in the ALPHA.
I need my OMEGA I guess.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:01 AM   #5
poobear
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eromero90 View Post
but if you don't want to risk loosing your information, simply create another partition.
There is this new thing called backup, you should google it.
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:06 AM   #6
intelliot
macrumors member

It's a Developer Preview, which actually is intended to be "earlier than beta".
intelliot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:27 AM   #7
tecknical
macrumors regular

strange. I've been using it on my main system since it came out and I've had no problems. But I also do daily Time Machine backups
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:45 AM   #8
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknical View Post
strange. I've been using it on my main system since it came out and I've had no problems. But I also do daily Time Machine backups
Time machine is a poor substitute for a separate partition, or at the very least a bootable backup taken with SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Paradoxeon
macrumors member

Hmm. Can you tell me how you managed to fix the kernel panics? Because my iMac is going though the exact same problem and I can't seem to fix it. You said you used several attempts to repair the harddrive. Please explain?? Thanks.
Paradoxeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a

I installed it on my primary system right over Snow Leopard and much of it works fine. The only problems I have are:

1. I use iChat ALL the time. iChat 6.0 is extremely buggy.
2. Opening Folders on Launchpad is very laggy and there's no way to delete an icon from Launchpad that isn't complicated.
3. Full screen apps don't adjust to different screen sizes. I use a Macbook plugged into a 24" monitor and when I plug it in it still shows my full screen apps in a small size.
4. Apps even such as iTunes haven't adopted the automatically hiding scrollbar.
5. I don't like the default wallpaper.

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied.
Tmelon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:52 AM   #11
antmarobel
macrumors regular

I agree with Tmeleon. For a Beta ( the first one ) it is pretty "solid", pretty " steady " fast and of course, beautiful. I´m running it since yesterday on my iMac 27 i5 and my Snow Leopard is already in the mountains of Himalaya...
antmarobel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
iDisk
macrumors 6502a

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU INSTALL A DEVELOPER SEED BUILD?? THESE BUILDS ARE NOT ONLY FOR DEVS WHO KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING BUT IT'S ALSO FOR DEVS TO WORK WITH APPLE TO ELIMINATE THESE BUGS.

Since your not a serious developer, you should just not complain about these seed builds. You should also wait for the consumer version, to come out in 4/5 months.

I seriously can't believe the breach in the NDA's thats going on with Lion.

Apple has a developer forum and a feedback section, maybe instead of complaining you help debug these issues, before the GM build is released.

Wow whatever happened to trust in the developer community.

Some people are seriously downloading Lion for the wallpapers!!! so here kids!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt. Fuji.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	273028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lotuslion.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	273031  
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18

Last edited by iDisk; Feb 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
iDisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:01 PM   #13
baschdi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmelon View Post
I installed it on my primary system right over Snow Leopard and much of it works fine. The only problems I have are:

2. Opening Folders on Launchpad is very laggy and there's no way to delete an icon from Launchpad that isn't complicated.
3. Full screen apps don't adjust to different screen sizes. I use a Macbook plugged into a 24" monitor and when I plug it in it still shows my full screen apps in a small size.

Yes I agree. Fullscreen Apps are really naughty on multiscreen setups iTunes is still Carbon, thats why it uses the old scrollbars and the Mountain-Wallpaper isn't a beauty - I hope these three things will be addressed before Lions summer release.

I kinda like the spell correction (rewritten text is underlined blue, nice). I love the new scrollbars (mostly).
And, except for Safari 5, its is rock solid for me.

I will use it as my main OS over the next few weeks, but I still keep SL on an other drive so I can swap them. I have seen worse Gold Master Releases than this Preview Release.
baschdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:08 PM   #14
allamoureux07
macrumors member

Works great so far

I've been using the dev preview as my primary machine and have yet to experience any problems - will keep you all updated.
allamoureux07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:10 PM   #15
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:

You're complaining about having to hold down 3 *consecutive* keys?!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by baschdi View Post
Yes I agree. Fullscreen Apps are really naughty on multiscreen setups iTunes is still Carbon, thats why it uses the old scrollbars and the Mountain-Wallpaper isn't a beauty - I hope these three things will be addressed before Lions summer release.

I kinda like the spell correction (rewritten text is underlined blue, nice). I love the new scrollbars (mostly).
And, except for Safari 5, its is rock solid for me.

I will use it as my main OS over the next few weeks, but I still keep SL on an other drive so I can swap them. I have seen worse Gold Master Releases than this Preview Release.
I agree. For the very first developers build, this is running great. In the next couple weeks I bet they'll release another build with all of these main issues fixed.

As for the wallpaper... At least it isn't as bad as the early beta Windows 7 wallpaper with the awkwardly placed fish.

If you don't remember...

http://www.cloudave.com/wordpress/wp...51b6e1d827.jpg
Tmelon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:17 PM   #17
iDisk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelon View Post
i agree. For the very first developers build, this is running great. In the next couple weeks i bet they'll release another build with all of these main issues fixed.

as for the wallpaper... At least it isn't as bad as the early beta windows 7 wallpaper with the awkwardly placed fish. :d

if you don't remember...

http://www.cloudave.com/wordpress/wp...51b6e1d827.jpg
lol wow that wallpaper is the worst. It would be better if the fish was eliminated.
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Jeff42037
macrumors regular

Yea I'm on a late 08 MacBook Pro and so far everything is perfect ! Fast for a beta.
Jeff42037 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:19 PM   #19
WeegieMac

It was great to play around with the Developer Preview, but it is annoying reading messages from people who don't seem to realise that it's far from the finished article and is released to help iron out bugs and get compatibility sorted.

If you can install Lion on an external drive and keep it separate from your main system (as I have), then it's great fun to play around with. However, I'm back on good old Snow Leopard now.

The Lion beta is stable-ish, but not stable enough to be a day-to-day OS or be used to tide you over until the retail launch. And besides, is the Developer Preview not timed? By that I mean, does it not expire and a newer version is seeded?
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:

As for the wallpaper... At least it isn't as bad as the early beta Windows 7 wallpaper with the awkwardly placed fish.
Or that awful grass wallpaper Apple used for the Leopard betas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
You're complaining about having to hold down 3 *consecutive* keys?!
It's not exactly easy to discover how to do it at the moment. I'm sure Apple will add a GUI to do it eventually (complete with the dancing icons.)

Last edited by Cougarcat; Feb 26, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Steve Ballmer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisk View Post
lol wow that wallpaper is the worst. It would be better if the fish was eliminated.
I guess you missed the joke with the wallpaper, then. I didn't care much for it, either, but it worked well with those particular releases.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:48 PM   #22
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear View Post
There is this new thing called backup, you should google it.
I don't understand why people have to be such ass-holes on this forum. It's rather annoying. I mean, I "get in to it" with people from time to time. But to just be an ass out of nowhere...
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion