Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1
littleasian
macrumors member

how to clean install 10.7?

i recently got a copy of the 10.7 dmg. how do i go about clean installing it on my macbook pro (2009)? i know for iso files you can simply burn it on a dvd with disc utility, does that work for dmg's as well?

i'd prefer not to do an upgrade installation from SL to Lion.

thanks!
littleasian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
You should not replace your main OS with Lion as it's still in very early beta stage and may not be stable and support all the apps you need. Create a partition with Disk Utility and install it there. That way you will have both, 10.6 and 10.7.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:12 AM   #3
littleasian
macrumors member

yea i'm aware of the risks but since i usually just use safari/office 11 i think i'll be ok.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:29 AM   #4
newfoundglory
macrumors regular

I installed Lion on my Mid 2010 mac mini server and 2008 MBP.

The mac mini doesn't have an optical drive, so i used a spare external USB hard drive, created a few partitions (must be GUID) on it and then restored Lion dmg contents to one of those partitions (all done using Disk Utility). You can then boot the installer by holding alt/option key on startup and selecting what you just restored. If you created a few partitions on the USB HDD, you can even install Lion back to one of those partitions on the USB disk and boot of it rather than the internal hard drive of your Mac if you prefer (i didn't).

It was so easy off USB that I repeated the process on my MBP.

Lion is very stable. I'm very surprised.
newfoundglory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:36 AM   #5
littleasian
macrumors member

hrmm that sounds pretty easy but i don't have any spare external's lying around. do you have any idea how i would go about doing this with a dvd-r?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:46 AM   #6
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

I used Disk Utility to partition my internal HDD into two partitions, one for the existing SL installation, and one for the coming Lion installation.
I then used CarbonCopyCloner to clone the DMG's contents to a USB thumbdrive with 4GB capacity and installed Mac OS X via that thumbdrive without problems.
To do a clean install, you might be able to use these steps: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:59 AM   #7
newfoundglory
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleasian View Post
hrmm that sounds pretty easy but i don't have any spare external's lying around. do you have any idea how i would go about doing this with a dvd-r?
Not tried it personally with Lion, but it should work if you burn it to DVD with Disk Utility. Just hold C on startup.
newfoundglory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:19 AM   #8
antmarobel
macrumors regular

If you wanna do a clean install:
after the language choice, click on Apple menu and chose "quit install" ( at least I think is "quit install" since in Portuguese this is the meaning...) In the following window chose Disk Utility and run it as usual if you wanna send your SL back to Himalyan! as I did). After the erase process, close Disk Utility and click in install Mac OS X!!!!
antmarobel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion