Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:28 AM   #1
PurpleHeart
macrumors member

iPhone 4 bought unlocked - can be used internationally?

if I purchase one of the 'official' unlocked iPhones from apple store, say in Canada, then would it be possible to use it anywhere in the world, with the appropriate SIM cards?

Most iPhones purchased with subsidization from wireless companies have the phones locked to the network, and as this phone will be for my mom who is not exactly tech-savvy (and cannot do jailbreak/unlock everytime she updates the firmware), I wanted to make sure that if the phone is bought unlocked and without contract, it will work anywhere (on GSM network), anytime.
PurpleHeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Goldinboy17
macrumors 65816

It can. But it's important to note they can only be purchased directly from Apole if you live in the country. It would also be full price.
Goldinboy17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:37 AM   #3
molala
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/23.390; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Yes, it will work with any GSM network internationally. Activate it before you give it to her, then she can even keep changing sim cards without connecting to a computer again.
molala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:56 AM   #4
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

Would you mind if I ask how much does it cost for a factory unlocked iPhone 4 32GB?

There is a website called expansys-USA dot com that sells a 16GB model claiming to be factory unlocked for $1,000, I wonder how much they sell the 32GB for

I wonder if I can at least get the phone number to that Canadian Apple store or any b/c I have been thinking I can just cross the border drive into Canada, buy the factory unlocked unit, drive back to the US and use my AT&T SIM to activate it.

I don't know if this would be much cheaper than just ordering one from eBay, but I keep hearing there's aot of scams going on there claiming they sell Int'l/factory unlocked iPhone 4 and in fact they are locked to a carrier's network.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
SnowDX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
Would you mind if I ask how much does it cost for a factory unlocked iPhone 4 32GB?
In Canada? Apple store online has the prices just like the U.S. website does http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...ACA-IPHONE-NAV

Quote:
There is a website called expansys-USA dot com that sells a 16GB model claiming to be factory unlocked for $1,000, I wonder how much they sell the 32GB for
The prices are on their web site. The 32GB model is $50 more than the 16GB model. Expansys does do business all over the world so they would have access to unlocked iPhones. Just not sure how they're getting away with selling then in countries where Apple doesn't ofer unlocked models.

Quote:
I wonder if I can at least get the phone number to that Canadian Apple store or any b/c I have been thinking I can just cross the border drive into Canada, buy the factory unlocked unit, drive back to the US and use my AT&T SIM to activate it.
http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/ and select the Apple store you want the details of at the bottom of the page. Or use a site like canada411.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone