Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhobb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
USA
Tell me all of your likes and dislikes about Lion so far. Thanks 

Attachments

• mac os x lion ad.png
    mac os x lion ad.png
    565.9 KB · Views: 308

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Aside from the bugs, and the fact that way too many apps aren't working, the only thing I really dislike is the lack of color in the finder icons. Luckily, this can be changed.

I do miss the pill button to collapse toolbars.

Oh, and the Launchpad is useless, but I don't care that it's there because it's totally optional.

The background for dashboard is awful, but if you uncheck the option that makes dashboard act as a space, it's gone.

Oh, and the "book" UI for Address Book is really silly.

The mission control UI is nice and I do prefer it to the old way, but it needs some work. If you have more than 9 spaces (I don't) it becomes a mess. Also, you can't conveniently move between 4 spaces via the arrow keys because spaces are only orientated horizontally.

Now my likes: the UI tweaks, Versions, and app persistence/restore are all awesome (My 3 favorite features). The animation for going back in Safari is quite clever and actually useful. The Mail UI is much much better.

Oh, and almost everything animates now. One could consider this a good or bad thing, depending on your taste.

Enori

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Poland
Ability to make Safari full screen and go between it and a desk with 4 finger swipe is my favourite. Launchpad is cool too. It lets me leave only 7 apps in dock now. UI changes are nice too.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
After playing with the OS for about 12 hours now altogether, I'm going to assume Lion will come in at the same price as Snow Leopard. There is nothing there to compel people to do an expensive upgrade. Launchpad is the worst. Apple seem to be touting this as the main feature, but it is nothing except a glorified Finder view with pretty graphics. Mission Control has potential, but right now is cumbersome and awkward. Full Screen implementation right now is also awkward, although it is evidently a work in progress. I do like the new Mail client, and I do very much like the new About This Mac. I also like that Resume can be disabled through the CTRL+Eject shutdown shortcut.

For any expecting big obvious changes, I think you'll be disappointed. Yes, there are changes here, particularly in Finder, but will they be useful? Probably not. I'll hold out on judging Mission Control, as it's clearly not finished, but I won't give Launchpad that much leeway. It's just useless.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
After playing with the OS for about 12 hours now altogether, I'm going to assume Lion will come in at the same price as Snow Leopard. There is nothing there to compel people to do an expensive upgrade. Launchpad is the worst. Apple seem to be touting this as the main feature, but it is nothing except a glorified Finder view with pretty graphics. Mission Control has potential, but right now is cumbersome and awkward. Full Screen implementation right now is also awkward, although it is evidently a work in progress. I do like the new Mail client, and I do very much like the new About This Mac. I also like that Resume can be disabled through the CTRL+Eject shutdown shortcut.

For any expecting big obvious changes, I think you'll be disappointed. Yes, there are changes here, particularly in Finder, but will they be useful? Probably not. I'll hold out on judging Mission Control, as it's clearly not finished, but I won't give Launchpad that much leeway. It's just useless.
Doubtful, Lion will almost assuredly cost $129. And, of course, the Apple fanboys will happily pay it.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Love full screen Safari, three finger swipe for switching spaces, and being able to set a wallpaper for each space. Seems faster than SL too, thought that could be due to it being a fresh install.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I've only seen the video on the homepage of macrumours, but it looks pretty good so far :) only thing is, it seems to be going the same way as iTunes 10 with the lack of colours...

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Doubtful, Lion will almost assuredly cost $129. And, of course, the Apple fanboys will happily pay it.

Good thing is it comes in one version. Oh, and that version doesn't cost you 300+ dollars, for which you get features that OSX has had for years and for which you have to validate your OS through ridiculous measures.

Nice try, Steve: now try and get your ass in the Harvard Top 100 CEO List and a president Obama invite to discuss tech future.

At present, you don't have either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.