Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
When I had my ipad I had a free texting app that worked great. I barely send any texts and dont have a cell phone but sometimes I require being able to send a text to someone for sales on craigslist etc. I was wondering if there are any programs to let me send free texts from my mac preferrably with growl integration

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
ichat

apple's own ichat can send text messages for free. make sure your friends mobile # is on their address book card and add them to your buddy list on i chat. then go to buddies ->send SMS

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
apple's own ichat can send text messages for free. make sure your friends mobile # is on their address book card and add them to your buddy list on i chat. then go to buddies ->send SMS

That's awesome. I never knew it did that. Thanks!

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
yea, it amazes me this is not well known. there are apps in the app store that do same thing that cost money. Even one i saw will charge you 10 cents per text.

I used it today. ichat texting is all free. As long as you leave it on, the person you text can respond to you. All free too. just goes to show you how much money these cell companies are making charging for texts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.