Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notpwned

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
europe
Hello after searching for this problem and not finding anything I open this new thread, hoping to find help here:

I have a US macbookpro model A1211 2,3GHz 15" which needed a fresh OSX Leopard install. Let me assure you everything ran fine before. Also after the original DVD install 10.5.0 all was fine. I then downloaded the complete update package from apples website to 10.5.8 = some 760 mb large.
Installed and now the DVD drive is GONE! it wont mount any disc, in disc util. it wont even show up! Its vanished from the machine ( but its physically still inside the macbookpro of course).
Repairing permissions with diskutil or in terminal wont help, reinstalling now is impossible because there is no more DVD driver in the system ( yes its there but obviously not the right one) I can not even update to snowleo ( never wanted) since any disc I stick into the drive bay will be sucked in and spin but NOT MOUNT! ( I had to find out how to eject a DVD from a drive thats not visible: hold the mouse key down while rebooting)
I searched all over the place with various search engines and came up with no results. Now this update package was downloaded while in Europe, can this be an issue? is there some sort of contorted copyright scheme, that doesnt allow US DVD drives to update OSX from a german IP ? I can not think of any reason why updating the OS would totally disable the DVD drive...
Here is what pacifist says:

Missing Files:

/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/CodeResources
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/CodeSignature
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IODVDStorageFamily
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/DVD-R.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/DVD-RAM.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/DVD-RW.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/DVD.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/DVD+R.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/DVD+RW.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/HD DVD-R.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/HD DVD-RAM.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/HD DVD-RW.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/HD DVD.icns
/System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/version.plist

well I do have several macbooks here and tried copying the kext from another= no result!
Any help, hints, ideas would be greatly appreciated, cause I feel slightly bricked!

notpwned

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
europe
oh and of course: the original .kext file was there....it simply doesnt talk to the DVD drive in the macbookpro!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.