Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDenney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Upon awakening my year old iMac, I get a dialogue box that says that there is another device with the same IP address on my network. I click "OK" and the box disappears with no apparent issues, except that it's annoying.

I have the iMac, Macbook laptop, an iPHone 4, and an iPad connected to a Airport Extreme wireless network. The iPhone 4, and iPad have been connected within the last 2 months.

Any help, or explanation etc. would be greatly appreciated

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
When you sleep your iMac, it disconnects from your Wi-Fi network. Then, one of your other devices (likely the iPhone or iPad) is taking the IP address that your iMac just gave up and using it.

Make sure you have a dynamic IP setup in System Preferences.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Have you checked to see if your Mac resolved the problem on its own? I have had that happen but once it got a new address from my Time Capsule, it was happy once again.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I get this when my iMac goes to sleep using Airport only. Normally I just use ethernet but when I use Airport I usually get these message but I click ok and it seems to sort itself out, I don't need to muck about with it or anything. Unless you have programs specifically using that ip address, I wouldn't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.