Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
As much as I like iOS, I can't seem to get used to the inverted scrolling.

On iPhone, where my fingers are in direct contact with the display, the inverted scrolling is a natural thing. You don't want to scroll any other way.

Whereas on Mac, your brain forces you to think that your fingers placed on trackpad control the behavior of scrollbars, NOT the content.

In Lion, your fingers no longer control the behavior of scrollbars. Your fingers control the content, that's exactly why scrollbars are invisible by default. Apple wants us to forget about them and concentrate solely on the content.

I want to get used to it. And the reason is that I want the scrolling to be a consistent thing between my iDevice and Mac.

Sorry, just felt like sharing my cool story with y'all. :D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I really tried to get used to it, but just ended up turning it off.
IT makes me think that there might be a MacOs X tablet, though. I can't see any other situation where reverse scrolling is necessary.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
There is a way to change it to the SL way - just un-click 'When using gestures to scroll or navigate, move content in the direction of finger movement'.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
It took me a little over a full day to get use to it. Now its fine.

You just have to use it, and every time you scroll think of how you would be swiping if the screen was a touchscreen

after a full day of that i don't half to think about it anymore.

That being said it was a pain in the ass at first and can't blame you for not getting use to it at first.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Preferences

There is a preference to change it isn't there?

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
It took me a little over a full day to get use to it. Now its fine.

You just have to use it, and every time you scroll think of how you would be swiping if the screen was a touchscreen

after a full day of that i don't half to think about it anymore.

That being said it was a pain in the ass at first and can't blame you for not getting use to it at first.

I don't have Lion, but just for kicks, I installed BetterTouchTool to try out the inverted scrolling thing.

Same here, about a day.

So if you want to try to get used to it for consistency, I'd allow 1-2 days, not just a few hours.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
There is a Setting

I knew it. I thought there would be a setting, but no one else that I talked to said there was. You CAN turn off inverted scrolling and you CAN show the application lights in the Dock.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I knew it. I thought there would be a setting, but no one else that I talked to said there was. You CAN turn off inverted scrolling and you CAN show the application lights in the Dock.
;)

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 118

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
something i don't get is in safari the navigation is reversed as well which i can get but on my mbp with the trackpad 3 finger navigation is still the old way, (left to go back, right to go forward). so safari and say finder navigation is opposite in lion. that stinks

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
I tried this in Snow Leopard using Better Touch Tool. You can reverse the gestures..

I couldn't get used to it!

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
I find it awkward because on my computer I'm not directly manipulating the screen like I am on my iPhone. Thus, I find traditional scrolling makes more sense on a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.