Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

day22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
I dont understand the purpose of the dot not being under open apps anymore

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
The purpose is that you're not supposed to have any apps in your dock anyway. And if you do, that means they are running, correct?

Remember the new Launchpad is the replacement for your old dock that holds all of your frequently-used apps.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The purpose is that you're not supposed to have any apps in your dock anyway.

No, the purpose is you really aren't supposed to worry whether an app is running or not. App persistence makes launching recently used apps (which would usually be what you have in your dock) load almost as fast as if they were open.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
No, the purpose is you really aren't supposed to worry whether an app is running or not. App persistence makes launching recently used apps (which would usually be what you have in your dock) load almost as fast as if they were open.
Exactly. That's the same reason the multitasking bar in iOS doesn't distinguish from backgrounded/non-backgrounded apps.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's the same kind of innovation as placing open and non open apps in the same dock. Now they're actually making no difference between them...

It makes some sense, but if you can Quit apps (because you can still do that) then how do you know whether to quit an app or not, if you don't know what's running?

Say you want to quit iCal, but you're not sure if it's running (because it has no open windows at the moment). There is no way of telling, unless you open an iCal window, and then quit it. But then you won't know if it was running before you opened the new window in the first place...

Anyway, I know this won't be a big issue but either OS X manages opening and closing of the apps, either I do. It shouldn't be a hybrid of the two, I should not be quitting apps at all then.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's the same kind of innovation as placing open and non open apps in the same dock. Now they're actually making no difference between them...

It makes some sense, but if you can Quit apps (because you can still do that) then how do you know whether to quit an app or not, if you don't know what's running?

Say you want to quit iCal, but you're not sure if it's running (because it has no open windows at the moment). There is no way of telling, unless you open an iCal window, and then quit it. But then you won't know if it was running before you opened the new window in the first place...

Anyway, I know this won't be a big issue but either OS X manages opening and closing of the apps, either I do. It shouldn't be a hybrid of the two, I should not be quitting apps at all then.
Sure there is, Cmd+Tab.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

You manage it. OS X doesn't quit anything unless you tell it to. Command tab is still there, so if the app doesn't have any windows visible you can tell it's running from that.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005

Hence my above post that no one seems to agree with. You wouldn't have the iCal icon in your dock if it wasn't running in the first place, would you?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hence my above post that no one seems to agree with. You wouldn't have the iCal icon in your dock if it wasn't running in the first place, would you?

You can if you want. The dock behaves exactly as in SL, minus the dots.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It would still show up in the task switcher (Cmd+Tab). I quit all my apps all the time using that regardless of whether it has an open window or not. I often forget that closing System Profiler's window doesn't close the app and only realize it's still running (I hide the dock) when I Cmd+Tab.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why would you want non-running apps' icons in your dock if there's the new Launchpad for that? Do you get my point?

Not everyone wants to use Launchpad. IMO, I find using the Dock/Spotlight quicker.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
Not everyone wants to use Launchpad. IMO, I find using the Dock/Spotlight quicker.
I guess it all comes down to individual preferences. As for me, I use indicator-less dock solely for running apps. Spotlight is my launcher. Now I don't have to worry about figuring out which apps are running and which aren't. Nor do I have to trigger app switcher. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.